Invisibility Poll

Replace Invisibility Spells

Chameleon beacons activate camouflage, Necromancer beacons activate Astral Projection, delete Chameleon Pack, Ghost Pack, and Phase Shifter.
No votes
Keep invisibility spells and packs as they are.
62%
Chameleon beacons activate camouflage, Necromancer beacons activate Astral Projection, delete Chameleon Pack, Ghost Pack, but keep Phase Shifter.
15%
I prefer another option, which I will post in reply.
23%

Total votes: 13

perrinoia
Site Admin

Invisibility Poll

Post by perrinoia »

Problem: Invisibility is over powered when up against OpenGL rendered opponents, and completely worthless against Software rendered opponents.

Proposal: Give chameleon's beacons the chameleon pack ability and give necromancer's beacons the astral projection ability (a concept derived from both phase shifter and ghost pack, as demonstrated in the following youtube video).

Delete chameleon pack, ghost pack, and phase shifter pack, since chameleons and necromancers would now be free to use their special abilities while carrying any other pack, such as energy, ammo, or repair packs.

Additional questions will need answers, such as, should chameleon or necromancer armors never be allowed to carry flags, always be allowed to carry flags, only when not using beacon abilities, or should using beacon abilities randomly potentially cause you to drop the flag?

Personally, I'd like to see all of the beacon abilities randomly cause fumbles...
Rogue Angel swooping in for a flag cap but missed the target? Uses air brakes, flag keeps going... Oops.
Chameleon activates chamoflauge to sneak past turrets with the flag? Fumbles flag...
Necromancer fakes death and teleports through wall? Oops, left flag on other side...
Warrior boosts home after swiping flag... Fumbles flag!
Builder deploys inventory station to resupply, fumbles flag!
Troll farts, fumbles flag!
Titan activates shields, fumbles flag!
Tank activates EMP, fumbles flag!

Also, fumbling shouldn't be the same as throwing,... If you toss the flag intentionally, it should fly forward, like a grenade... But if you fumble it, it should fall backwards, as it is accidentally disconnecting from the flag mount on your back.
Last edited by perrinoia on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Invisibility Poll

Post by perrinoia »

You are the primary reason I want to remove it... LOL

So you'd be fine with no more chameleon pack if chameleon beacons activated chamoflauge, and you'd be fine with no more ghost pack if necromancer beacon activated astral projection, but you still wanna switch places with people, which astral projection doesn't do... Correct?
SpydeR.
Site Admin

Post by SpydeR. »

I vote for the astral projection ability, but I don't want to lose the phase shifter pack.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I have modified the poll to add ghost and spyder's suggestion, and changed my own vote.
Jegue

Post by Jegue »

It would be nicer to keep the chameleon pack, you have control over the camouflage with it. If you hit the beacon key inside your base, you will have a red arrow on your head until the effect of the beacon passes, your teammates will shoot you and may BK accidentally.

What else could the chem have as beacon? A suicide detpack, maybe :spiteful:
- <!>Tariq^
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Well, that's actually another issue I'd like to address...
Camouflage in your own base is stupid. I'd like to disable the ability based on distance to your own flag...

Basically, the same code that prevents you from deploying turrets too close to the enemy base, could prevent you from activating (and wasting) camouflage where enemies can't deploy turrets, because, lets be honest... chameleons mostly fool turrets, not players.

But I'd also like to remove the 1 at a time restriction, too... So, two chameleons could simultaneously infiltrate the enemy base...
This should balance out the lack of invisibility spells.

Also, the lack of an off button is balanced by a timer.
Also, the energy drain will remain, but you'll be able to wear an energy pack to balance that, too.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

I really dislike the idea of removing phase shift, ghost and the chameleon pack. It's one thing to remove invisibility because there's a real problem with software users having an advantage over openGL and being sniped by an invisible player is bad gameplay, but I really don't see the need to make drastic changes like that.

I love the ghost pack because it's fast and one of the best strategies against the huge turret stack that we have. There are maps where I am basically running routes and then ghosting to pickup the flag. Using astral projection as a beacon ability would be nice, but I really don't see it as a replacement to ghosting. It would be slow, odd and clunky to try to cap with only astral projection. Phase pack is also really fun to use and I just don't see the point of removing it really.

The biggest problem with tying the chameleon ability to their beacons is control. I just don't like the idea of not being in control of when I can turn it on or off and then running out of beacons because let's be honest Chameleons aren't exactly running around wrecking face already and this would be a nerf aside from allowing multiple players to Chameleon which we could do anyways.

I hope you were joking about the flag fumbling for every armor. The players of the game should be the one dictating what happens with the flags, not random formulas. Basically if I am carrying the flag and someone kills me there was some form of player skill in that situation. If I randomly drop the flag because of the pack or armor I am wearing rolled a 6 instead of a 9 it just seems like a cheap trick and also something myself or any other player had no control over.

That's exactly why I removed random flag drop from Necromancer. Also there are matches where you and your team might be fighting for 15 minutes to be able to get to be able to grab the enemy flag just in time to tie or win the match.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

You make some good points.

I wasn't joking about fumbling, but your argument completely changed my mind on that... It was a terrible idea.

I agree that ghost pack is faster than astral projection, as you can retain your momentum during activation and deactivation of ghost pack, but not astral projection.
I couldn't figure out how to apply a velocity to an observer camera, when I coded astral projection.

Even phase shifter is faster, as it can teleport you more than twice as far, in a third of the time, as astral projection.
It also has the ability to swap places with people, which can make capping nearly instantaneous.

I could solve this problem by maybe increasing the speed of the observer camera... The editor camera has 10 speed options, I don't see why the observer camera must be limited to two.

I also see your point about wanting to be able to shut off chameleon pack, so what if activating beacon mounted camouflage in the flag slot... Then you could press ctrl+f to remove camouflage, and couldn't carry a flag while wearing it... Would that solve your gripe?
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Yeah I think it would be really fun to play around with that as the beacon for Necromancer. I had another thought today of making the Chameleon beacon have the same affect as the Sensor Jammer pack because it doesn't have one and then possibly also removing deployable motion and pulse sensors.

The problem with the deployable sensors is that they are so small that they can be hidden in tiny cracks of the bases or buried underneath blastwalls and platforms deep inside the base and then never destroyed for a whole map. This is why we have turrets which always see players who are trying to use the Sensor Jammer pack even if no enemy players are around and their base sensors are destroyed.

This would be something that would help all of the armors against defense. You could use a Sensor Jammer pack to destroy turrets without them shooting you assuming no enemies are looking at you and you aren't in the large base sensor range or it's destroyed. Sensor Jammer pack would go from being useless to being a really good tool against a D-stack and every armor except Troll and Chameleon already have one. Another option would be to just make those sensors larger like the new pussycat so it's harder to cover them.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Another option would be to make then require power, just like base sensors.

Personally, I think all deployables (specifically turrets, stations, and sensors) should require generators.

This way you'd have to deploy them within the effective range of a generator, but you could extend the effective range with deployable generators, etc...

This would, of course, completely change the dynamics of the mod.