a couple of ideas

LM|RCMP*

a couple of ideas

Post by LM|RCMP* »

i would really like to see the match warm-up time (the period of time on new missions where you cant move), be reduced

also, i don't know if its even possible, but it'd be good to find a way to force even teams. I've seen multiple occasions where the teams are like 4 against one, and no one decides to switch teams. what im thinking is if teams are uneven, you have a 45 second grace period (in case a player merely crashed, as happens to me a bit), and after the 45 seconds is up, the server would automatically reassign how ever many players it would take to even up the teams
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
DaRk

Re: a couple of ideas

Post by DaRk »

Well, there lies a problem with that. Leveling the player count does not always level the field. It does not take into account the skill of the player(s). It might be 5 vs 2, but it might still be level if those players are really skilled.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

It is possible to check player stats, while assigning teams, and this will be even more effective when everyone is required to register/login.

However, I think an easier/better method would be to disable base rape, objectives, and time limits when teams become unfair and resume when they are even.

This would replace the code that currently disables base rape if teams are less than 3:3, because that is stupid if teams are even, at 2:2.

It should auto disable when the difference between player counts on each team are greater then 1, or one team has half of the players as the other team, or less...

In other words, 1:0 is uneven. 2:1 is uneven. 3:1 is uneven, but 3:2 is not necessarily uneven...
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:It is possible to check player stats, while assigning teams, and this will be even more effective when everyone is required to register/login.

However, I think an easier/better method would be to disable base rape, objectives, and time limits when teams become unfair and resume when they are even.

This would replace the code that currently disables base rape if teams are less than 3:3, because that is stupid if teams are even, at 2:2.

It should auto disable when the difference between player counts on each team are greater then 1, or one team has half of the players as the other team, or less...

In other words, 1:0 is uneven. 2:1 is uneven. 3:1 is uneven, but 3:2 is not necessarily uneven...
X2
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

you definately have a much better idea than what i was suggesting perr
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I just had another idea... Not sure if it's better or worse... Maybe we should put it up to a vote.

What if you can't spawn if your team has more live players than the other team?

Then we could disable auto assign teams, allowing everyone to choose their teams and play with their friends as allies.

You could have 31 Blood Eagles versus 1 extremely unlikable Diamond Sword, and all 31 players would simply take turns fighting fish, or whoever...

How does that sound?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

What if you can't spawn if your team has more live players than the other team?
Are you saying bot's are now being used in match play to even up the teams?
Then we could disable auto assign teams, allowing everyone to choose their teams and play with their friends as allies.
This is great to play with your friends on the same team, but it goes back to not everyone having the same skills in game play. I like your first idea much better. Although we mentioned before about people required to have to log in to play, which some won't and won't sign up, so we lose players, but I think this makes the server more secure, due to knowing who is joining the gamming server and keeps track of who is doing what and how, so not to ruin the game for those who want a good match without all the other people wanting to ruin a gamming match.
You could have 31 Blood Eagles versus 1 extremely unlikable Diamond Sword, and all 31 players would simply take turns fighting fish, or whoever...

How does that sound?
LOL, another Fish issue. If he's doing things that kill the game, create the mandatory login and this can prevent him from doing it, with anyone else. With the mandatory login, all you need to do is get his "physical" IP address and give it to the person hosting the "MAIN" server(s) to ban him, not the gamming server. He won't be able to join again, even if he tries to change his IP, due to his "physical" IP listed for his internet at his residence is now banned. Now, he can go to a friends house and join and start it all over again, this can't be helped, but you just ban that IP also, even if he goes to a local library. Now, if he tries to do any harm to the server....then you give me his IP, I get his physical address, contact the authorities, and they deal with him from then on. Even if underage...he get's a record against him for LIFE. This will affect any future job opportunities or even social functions he has to register for that he tries to attend. In other words, he's F*CKED for LIFE!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

KILROY wrote:Are you saying bot's are now being used in match play to even up the teams?
No... I made no mention of bots, what so ever... What I'm suggesting is that it doesn't matter how many players choose to be on each team. When you attempt to spawn, if your team has more live (not dead) players than any other team, you will not be able to spawn. So if you are on the Blood Eagle team, and more of your teammates are alive than enemies, you'll just have to keep pressing your trigger until teams become fair again (or switch teams).
KILROY wrote:This is great to play with your friends on the same team, but it goes back to not everyone having the same skills in game play.
Well... Yes and no... Let's say Blood Eagle has the most skilled player of all time, and he just won't fucking die. Everyone else is on Diamond Sword, because everyone wants a piece of him. Since there is only 1 live player on Blood Eagle, Diamond Sword may have up to 2 live players at any given point in time, because the mod would only prevent you from spawning if your team has MORE live players than the other... So if teams are fair (1v1), either team could spawn another player... If teams are unfair (1v2), only a player on the first team would be allowed to spawn, which would make it 2v2, and then anyone could spawn again, etc...
KILROY wrote:Although we mentioned before about people required to have to log in to play, which some won't and won't sign up, so we lose players, but I think this makes the server more secure, due to knowing who is joining the gamming server and keeps track of who is doing what and how, so not to ruin the game for those who want a good match without all the other people wanting to ruin a gamming match.
I've worked really hard to script this so it's as simple and idiot proof as possible, while also keeping it as secure, robust, and lag free, as possible. Those are not traits I associate with the current system at all.
Here's the basic gist of how it will work, when I'm done with it:
  • Step 1: function Server::onClientConnect
    A) You connect to the server and are marked as not validated, your name is converted to a file system friendly string to see if a file exists for that player name.
    B) If the file does not exist, you'll be marked as unregistered.
    C) Else the file is executed, loading your passphrase, profile, preferences, permissions, and a list of previously validated IP addresses. If preferences permit validation by info or IP, the server will attempt to validate your current info and/or IP against those stored in the file.

Step 2: function remoteCGADone
    A) You've finish loading the game, and are ready to join in the fun, but first, the server checks if you've been validated or not.
    B) If so, congratulations, you are automatically logged in, with no hassles!
    C) Else, if you are unregistered, the server asks you to send a passphrase in the form of a message... Any kind of message... It could be global, team, voice chat... Doesn't matter. The whole message will be saved as your passphrase.
    D) Else, you are registered and not validated, so the server tells you to input your passphrase or GTFO, kindly.

Step 3: function remoteSay
    A) If you are already validated, remoteSay performs it's usual functions... (You cannot chat if you are not logged in)
    B) Else, if you are unregistered, remoteSay registers your whole message as your passphrase, and asks you to repeat your passphrase for confirmation.
    C) Else you are registered but not validated, remoteSay compares your current message to your registered passphrase and either validates, warns, or kicks you, depending on how many attempts you've made.

Step 4: function Game::playerSpawn
    A) If you are not validated, returns false. (You cannot spawn if you are not logged in)
    B) Else performs usual functions.

Step 5: function Game::menuRequest
    A) If you are not validated, returns. (You can't even vote if you are not logged in)
    B) Else, includes options to reset passphrase, validate by info, and validate by ip.
KILROY wrote:LOL, another Fish issue.
I was just poking fun at a very unpopular person... I haven't played with him in ages. But since you bring it up, how does one determine someone's "real internet ip"? We've banned fish before, but had to ban a range that included at least 2 other players, who probably weren't him. He's not a hacker... He just has a dynamic IP and an even more dynamic name, and enjoys verbally harassing everyone in the server, and occasionally base killing when no admins are around to punish him.
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

well perr, i think your first idea about disabling base rape when teams are unfair is a much better idea, and if anything, that should be put to a vote
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

My statement about the bots was a PUN, I was thinking between the lines :tease:

I like your ideas on the server checks, and like the idea of being able to join the server, but not play in it or being able to vote if not registered, but.....still being able to join the server and obs, and if you liked what you see, could then register to play and be able to vote. One thing that would have to be added is the site you need to go to in order to register. This could be added easily by bringing up the option menu. I wouldn't add it to the screen upon joining, due to once it disappears, you don't see it again, unless you drop and rejoin the server.

As for finding out one's "Physical IP" there's different ways to do this, but the easiest is with the equipment my company uses, since my company is the MAIN provider for World's Communications. Our equipment can trace anything down to a physical location, hardline, fiber, or wirelessly.