Flag Waypoints

Flag Waypoint Options

Never show waypoints to any flag.
22%
Only show a waypoint to my team's flag when it is dropped.
11%
Always show waypoint to my team's flag.
56%
Only show waypoints to any flag when they are dropped.
No votes
Always show waypoints to all flags.
11%

Total votes: 9

AnniDv6

Re: Flag Waypoints

Post by AnniDv6 »

It's funny because the whole idea of an auto flag drop was to make annihilation more like Tribes Ascend in the way that it's harder to break the game so servers need less moderation. In annihilation we have so many things that trolls can use to ruin the game, but taking the main objective and being able to fly to unlimited heights with it probably takes the cake.

Always on flag waypoints is a good way to level the playing field between versions and cheaters so there's that.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

So take those armors that have unlimited heights that can carry the flag and put height limits in which the flag get's returned when they go over it, but it gives them a warning first to give them time to drop below that height.

Giving a waypoint to the flag is pretty much a cheat in my opinion, and your defeating the meaning of gameplay, and defeating the meaning of what CTF was created for and the gamming style of Tribes. Meaning players should learn to O and D. If a teammate grabs the flag, another teammate should be able to back them up either by following them to defend the carrier, or if they get killed and drop the flag, be able to have a chance to pick it up and run with it for the cap. In D, if your flag is grabbed, one or more should be able to chase the carrier to take them out to return the flag then start again. If the flag carrier dies while in route back to their base and no one is around to return or pick the flag up to continue, that is why a time limit was created that auto returned the flag. What this also did, was give time for each team to make repairs and adjustments for game play due to a flag now not present to defend or grab. Putting a waypoint to the flag is now defeating this purpose.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Wow... Run-on sentences, much? LOL

As someone previously mentioned, every version of Tribes (except Starsiege: Tribes prior to v1.40.655) automatically provided way-points to the enemy carrying your team's flag. Tribes 2 had auto way-points. Tribes: Vengeance had flag IFFs. Tribes: Ascend takes it even one step further, by displaying the enemy flag carrier through fog or walls as if you've got x-ray vision.

All of these "cheats" were inspired by client side scripts written for Starsiege: Tribes by the community, before Tribes 2 or v1.40.655 were even written. These scripts would periodically command you to attack the location of the flag carrier, which would update frequently, and track them around the map, as long as they were detected by sensors. In v1.40.655, there's even a TV mode, which fullscreen, first person observes the flag carrier, so you see exactly what they see. This works even if you can't detect them with sensors, so you can still figure out where they are.

This server-side modification that I'm offering to write, would merely display the numerical distance between you and the flag carrier, approximately where the IFF should be, if you could detect the flag carrier.

While I agree with Kilroy, that something like this would be designed as an aid for noobies... It's actually the OZ vets who creamed LM in a clan match, who are demanding something be done about flag carriers hiding in the sky... LOL

Also, people keep mentioning that we simply need to add a time limit or height limit to carrying a flag, and some suggest that it only effect flag carriers wearing Rogue Angel armor... These are all silly suggestions, because none of them would have effected the match they are complaining about. The*Titan was not in Rogue Angel armor, when I observed him. He was not absurdly high up in the sky, either. If there was a time limit, and he was aware of it, he simply would have come back to the terrain and dropped the flag, picked it back up, then hid once again.

The problem was not how high up he was, how long he held it, or what armor he was wearing. The problem was, the entire OZ clan ASSUMED he was too hidden to be found, and didn't try to look for him. If The*Titan had been lit up like a beacon, on the other hand, I guarantee an OZ member with inhuman aim would have sniped him down in a matter of seconds. And that is why I'm offering to make this an option, rather than forcing it on all the time.... There are times when it would be appropriate, and times when it would not, and it's entirely based on who has the flag and who is looking for it.

However, I like Kilroy's suggestion best... I'll paraphrase him: "Get some fucking skills, you whiny bitches!" LOL
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Maybe we should test this and see if it's even possible to hit them when they are already really high and accelerating up so fast.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

This is the command that activates the beacon's way point thingy...

Code: Select all

GameBase::setIsTarget(%this,true);
I don't think it works on players, and I know it only shows up for allies of the object.

So we'll need to create an item. Why an item? Because you can't collide with an item. You walk right through them.
Don't set any item maxes for it, so no one can pick it up.
Use the tiny smoke cloud as the item image, and name it Fart, or something like that.
When a player picks up a flag, spawn the fart, assign it's team to match the flag's team, and periodically reposition it to match the player's position.
Delete it when the flag is dropped.
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

Fixing the angel problem (although it is honestly a rare thing to happen) would be nice, but can we not dumb the mod down to do it? Waypointing a person who has the flag is a terrible idea. The few moments when you leave the base with the flag are essential. Having the other team know where you are right away ruins any element of stealth. If you get out of the base and are low on health, sometimes your only chance is to disappear over a hill without being detected. Otherwise you're going to have two or three spawn chasers coming at you and you're fucked.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Good point... Maybe the marker should only turn on after you get a certain distance from the flag stand.
Last edited by perrinoia on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Sorry, about those run-ons, tired, been pulling some long shifts due to major outages between Texas and the Louisiana border with all the bad flooding they have been having.

Firelord, your last statement I found amusing:
Otherwise you're going to have two or three spawn chasers coming at you and you're fucked.
This is the whole point of the game. That's why it's called CTF.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, as soon as you take the flag, everyone gonna look that direction anyway... If you can't get away from a couple of spawn chasers, you should probably leave flag capping to the pros.
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

perrinoia wrote:Yeah, as soon as you take the flag, everyone gonna look that direction anyway... If you can't get away from a couple of spawn chasers, you should probably leave flag capping to the pros.
KILROY wrote: Firelord, your last statement I found amusing:
Otherwise you're going to have two or three spawn chasers coming at you and you're fucked.
This is the whole point of the game. That's why it's called CTF.
Oh fuck off lol. I'll wreck both of you in Tribes and you know that (I'm being lighthearted here but it's true). Obviously it's part of the game to have chasers. But its also a built in part of the game to not become a fucking beacon when you grab the flag. The other team has to be able to locate you on their own without some handicap. This would be the most ridiculous mod update to happen in a long time. Do not do it.