Flag Waypoints

Flag Waypoint Options

Never show waypoints to any flag.
22%
Only show a waypoint to my team's flag when it is dropped.
11%
Always show waypoint to my team's flag.
56%
Only show waypoints to any flag when they are dropped.
No votes
Always show waypoints to all flags.
11%

Total votes: 9

perrinoia
Site Admin

Flag Waypoints

Post by perrinoia »

Steam wrote:Reptard: i had an idea for the flag problem...just copy TA's example and make the flag carrier visible xD
Reptard: just an idea
Reptard: probaly harder than it sounds
[df]Perrinoia: What flag problem?
Reptard: flag height
Reptard: i mean yeah an angel can go way up in there
Reptard: but with TA's style u could still aim at them
Reptard: :P
Reptard: it would be like happymod but only on 1 guy
[df]Perrinoia: I could make the flag a beacon, so you always see your distance to it, and it shows up on the command map...
[df]Perrinoia: but only the team who owns the flag would see it... So I'd need to make invisible, non-coporeal beacons, that follow the flag carrier, for each team...
[df]Perrinoia: by non-coporeal, I mean uncollidable
Reptard: sounds good
Reptard: lol
Reptard: yeah
Reptard: well it would work either way
[df]Perrinoia: It would look like a smoke trail, with more smoke depending on the number of teams.
[df]Perrinoia: Only one of the clouds would show distance to each team.
Reptard: chem trails
[df]Perrinoia: Precisely
Reptard: =p
Reptard: so is that a plan u came up with earlier?
[df]Perrinoia: No
Reptard: and would u use it?
[df]Perrinoia: Just now
[df]Perrinoia: I would be willing to script it as a mod option, which could be enabled/disabled by votes or admins.
The idea being, if someone gets in angel and flies into the sky with a flag, you'll be able to see the beacon in the sky and possibly snipe them down.
SpydeR.
Site Admin

Re: Flag Waypoints

Post by SpydeR. »

I like the idea but only if the flag carrier is in angel armor.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Keep in mind that these way-points are not visible through obstructions, so if the flag carrier goes inside a base, or behind a hill, the way-point disappears.

So you'll mostly only see them if the flag carrier is flying in the sky, or they are on the ground and you are flying in the sky, etc...

Also, I can make all of these poll options vote/admin options in game.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

No waypoints, learn to play "Tribes". Map's have boundaries, why have waypoints? Waypoints were never part of the original Tribes. You as a Tribes player should already know where the flag is at each base, and there should be people that are going O and people on D. If you can't keep up with the person who grabs the flag to protect the flag carrier, or keep up with the enemy that grabs the flag to return your own, then get the hell out of the game! That's part of the fun of the game!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Waypoints actually were part of the original tribes.

Okay the training missions again, you'll get waypoints to the flags.

In this scenario, the waypoint would follow a moving object (flag carrier), rather than just indicate the location of a still flag.

Yes, I understand the training missions are for noobs, but I kinda feel like the people bitching about this are acting like noobs.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Waypoints that were assigned were part of the original Tribes, not auto waypoints.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

They are automatically assigned in the training missions, and beacons in base have auto waypoints, too.

PS: Any argument about how this mod differs from the original game is worthless, because the word "modification" implies that it is in fact different... That's the whole point.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Auto assigned in Training for "Training" that was the reason for their use. As for the game, "YOU" had to set the beacon in order for you to use it as a waypoint, but it could be destroyed, and how many people do you know actually used a beacon as a waypoint for base Tribes, or even used assigned waypoints. When the map started everyone did their own thing, either O or D, period.

So basically with the auto waypoints for the flag carrier, you want the game to play itself, not the player. That is one of the challenges for the game that you are now taking away. Why even have a waypoint show the person on your team who has the enemy flag? When it's picked up the server relays who took it on your team. All you have to do is look at the map and see where they are and go to them.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

The waypoint thing exists already, somewhat. In 1.40 there's an option to have the compass automatically point to whatever flag carrier you want, which also shows their distance from you. With that turned on you shouldn't have any issue finding the flag carrier unless they're an Angel. That would require a bit more visual information (i.e. how beacons work, or an actual flag IFF as seen in every Tribes game since T2). I'm not really for or against it, just thought I'd throw that bit of info out there.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Sorry Fixious, I'm not familiar with version 1.40 or 1.41, I'm still on 1.30 due to it being the version I had to use with my older laptop that had Vista on it. I just copied and pasted it over to my new system. As I stated on another forum, I probably should update, but just to lazy to do so...lol, but interesting to know that about 1.40,