Fish Counter tactics....

{LS}RePublic

Fish Counter tactics....

Post by {LS}RePublic »

So I believe its long overdue, but possibly an easy way of stopping fish from his usual vpn tactics.

A log in system where if under 200 kills/points> no vote/muted.
If they dont already have over 200 points like most casuals already have they cant vote and are muted.
As soon as they pass 200 points their privileges are upgraded to state 2 which will allow them to chat and vote.

This prevents fish from joining up and immediately trash talking, even if he reaches 200 points under a new alias which may take an hour or 2, he would then immediately lose it all if banned.

Yes new genuine users would be affected but possibly they can be notified by an automated system for a run down on the countermeasures. They could also be directed to this forum for help.

Most current users should already be on state 2 and thus not affected.
People should be encouraged to register if they haven't already however a static IP should be fine.
KILROY

Re: Fish Counter tactics....

Post by KILROY »

Interesting.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I don't like this idea, because legitimate noobs have questions. Questions which need answers, especially if they hope to ever achieve 200 points.

Also, Fish will probably figure out how to get 200 points from turret farming or something like that.
{LS}RePublic

Post by {LS}RePublic »

perrinoia wrote:I don't like this idea, because legitimate noobs have questions. Questions which need answers, especially if they hope to ever achieve 200 points.

Also, Fish will probably figure out how to get 200 points from turret farming or something like that.
Indeed, it would be the genuine noob's who'd have the most issues, however tribes only gets 1-2 new's popping in once in a while. I honestly dont believe much loss through this system. It can be tailored to even having an auto response- "You need X amount before you're trusted with level 2 privileges".
Most new's Ive seen dont even bother chatting

There's hardly a threat from fish on turret farming and hes got horrid aim anyway, dont expect him to get more than 200 points in 6 matches. Plenty of time for an admin to catch on to fish's high ping and naruto style name
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

Sounds like it's worth a shot to me, good idea. Point the noobs to the forum to learn the ropes because rarely is help offered during game play in the first place... rarely. Perhaps something like this could be toggled on/off and used only when problem players are being abusive. It would seriously take the wind out of his sails ... worth consideration.
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Here's the thing... Fish has been muted before, many times. His solution is to use his player name as a marque, reconnecting with a different name every couple of seconds. So if you read the connection messages in order, they tell a story... A racists, bigoted, hateful story.

Your idea would encourage more of his normal unacceptable behavior. It would not convince him to play legit for a few maps to gain privileges back.

Likewise, my idea of forcing registrations would not prevent him from telling stories with his aliases, but it would prevent him from chatting and playing unless he registers each new name he connects with.

I'd also like to auto-ban people for having too many aliases... It's one thing if you and your roommate/family plays from the same IP, or even if you host a LAN party and have a few friends over... But Fish averages like 50 different names per IP address. I'd pick a limit somewhere between 1 and 10 and auto ban IP's that exceed this limitation. I'd also make exceptions for LAN parties, if one ever happened.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Question, can you make it so that one has to register in order to play on the server, but if they don't register can only obs the server? What this will do, is if you are a newbie, you can see how others play in order to understand the game better. Then, if you want to play, make them aware they have to register first.

However, I don't like the idea of being able to register multiple names. Why? What do you have to hide? I can understand it if you are in a clan and then you have to leave it somehow and have to change the registered name you are using to continue to play on the server, but isn't that what a forum is for, to report the issue so an admin can get this accomplished, or at least report it to the server host so they can correct the issue?

Now in all fairness, I understand some are in more than one clan. Which will require more than one name to register, but what happens when that person(s) have to do a match play and the teams are both groups this person(s) are a member of? How does this person(s) decide which team to play for?

The only time I understand when one has to use different names is when they play on different servers, like use a name on the Anni mod, and use another name for base, LT, Rene, etc. servers they play on.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Short answer:
No, the server cannot determine if you are registered with the forums.

Long answer:
There is a database plugin that could be used to interface with a website... But I don't see how that's any better than registering players in game. There's also a plugin called GeoIP, which can tell you a player's city, but it can also crash the server.

There's really no good way to get rid of Fish, that I can think of.
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

as i've said In game many many many times, fish is a nuisance and a troll, but thats about it. From what I know, besides Bladez and fish, theres ever been one player who was persistant enough about evading a ban, and that was Morgoth. The difference between those two and Morgoth is simple. They haven't done anything outright illegal. The ONLY reason we don't still have to deal with morgoth, is because when he attempted to DDOS the server, AND succeeded, that was all we needed to file a complaint with the internet crime complaint center. after they reviewed the complaint, they ruled he did indeed break the law, and his ISP blacklisted him. Thus, the ONLY WAY we can be rid of Fish or Bladez, for good, is if they commit a cyber crime, which i don't think they will. and again, that is the ONLY way
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

Fish is annoying, but it really is not hurting your gameplay. There is a personal mute option if you click on his name. If you start altering the mod, then he wins and you are validating him. He'll love it. Stop making threads about him. Move on.