Minigun (Slight nerf)

AnniDv6

Re: Minigun (Slight nerf)

Post by AnniDv6 »

Lawlz wrote:... it's sort of nice to have a few more guns rival shit like Pbeam & railguns honestly ...
This alone was probably the biggest factor that I considered when I was playing around with changing the Minigun damage a few months back and to be clear I'm talking about the troll weapon not the Tank Shredder.

I originally did lower the damage because of everything mentioned already like extremely fast bullet travel time and near perfect accuracy. What happened was that we ended up with a weapon which no longer came close to the Particle Beam. And honestly how can you compete with a hitscan weapon with no falloff that can one shot all other armors and all turrets and also has no ammo and a very short charge time? It took a good fifteen seconds just to kill a base plasma turret with the Minigun after the nerf and if you started shooting a Titan or even a Builder they were able to turn and kill you first almost every time even though you started shooting first.

Ultimately I changed the Minigun damage back and gave it 500 ammo instead of unlimited and made it easier to see the projectiles, more so if you see a teammate getting hit you can then target the enemy that was shooting them just like how you can with the particle beam fade.

The point is the Minigun can't really be balanced out with simple changes to it's damage or ammo count or accuracy until we balance other weapons and armors respectively and we currently have some really unbalanced weapons when compared to others so we need to look at things holistically.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

That chaingun needs to have a code for the spread of the projectiles. One should not be able to cross map with a chaingun, I think that the spread should be increased and the damaged lowered significantly
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I wonder what the collision radius of the minigun bullets is...

Perhaps if the collision radius was reduced, the bullets wouldn't collide with each other, AND it would be more difficult to hit targets... Slightly.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

I don't think they have a big enough hit box for that to make a difference. I think if anything we should go back and look into the fire rates and generating something that would make the bullets less accurate at longer distances. That would solve just about every problem with the mini-gun and the chain-gun.
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

How about just nerfing the damage as it's fired over a certain amount of time as in the gun heats up the more you use it and it starts to lose accuracy and throw projectiles off target. After it cools down so to speak it becomes accurate again.
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

So it starts with a wild spread and gets more accurate?

That actually makes more sense, but I'm not sure how to code it... Would be an interesting challenge.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

I think it would be better if we could start it and have 3 or 4 of us work on it together until we get what we like. But, doing this would bring a modern touch to the game as far as weapon operation would go
Lawlz

Post by Lawlz »

Damn. Ya'll trying to fuck the Minigun. I wasn't really proposing some sort of huge numerical damage or accuracy nerf; just an ammunition type of nerf. As I previously said, It's nice to have a gun that more casual people can somewhat use against the monstrous Pbeam and Railgun combos. It turns people like Eat * Lead and a few others into actually serious and competitive players with the way it is now which I believe to be a good thing. The only fucked up part about the minigun is if it's in the wrong hands at the moment... I pretty much demolished a PUG with it because I can dick around with 500 ammo; I legit killed at least 20-25 people in a single spawn session with this thing due to the fact that I have 500 bullets and have fairly moderate aim.

TLDR; damage and accuracy are fine, give it less ammo.
DESTROID

Post by DESTROID »

The Weapon damage is too high.

If I play titan, can take a sniper shot before firing the second'm already dead.

Reduce the damage of the gun is very good already.

O Dano da arma está muito alto.

Se eu jogar de titan, consigo dar um tiro de sniper, antes de disparar o segundo já estou morto.

Se reduzir o dano da arma está muito bom já.
Lawlz

Post by Lawlz »

DESTROID wrote:The Weapon damage is too high.

If I play titan, can take a sniper shot before firing the second'm already dead.

Reduce the damage of the gun is very good already.

O Dano da arma está muito alto.

Se eu jogar de titan, consigo dar um tiro de sniper, antes de disparar o segundo já estou morto.

Se reduzir o dano da arma está muito bom já.
Damn let's get rid of turret-killer for Pbeam while we're at it! :trolol: