Rename Mortar to high-explosive projectile

LM|RCMP*

Rename Mortar to high-explosive projectile

Post by LM|RCMP* »

For anyone who knows anything about real world weaponry, you will know that a mortar is defined as " a short, smoothbore gun for firing shells (technically called bombs) at high angles."

The mortar gun in game, which we wrongly call a mortar gun, IS NOT fired at high angles (or for you perfectionists, trajectories). This is why I think we should simply rename it to simething like "high-explosive projectile". It has more impact-explosive energy than a standard grenade launcher, so to name it similar to grenade launcher would be foolish.

Obviously this wouldn't really have any impact on the gameplay, but It would make it somewhat more realistic. If need be, I can work on the files with the relevant data to be renamed, and just post them here, so all that would be needed was to replace the files in the mod
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Rename Mortar to high-explosive projectile

Post by perrinoia »

You CAN shoot it at a high angle...
The projectiles ARE ballistic...
They DO explode like bombs...

The only reason we don't always shoot them up into the air, is because we have jetpacks, and are frequently elevated above our targets. Or because they bounce of walls rather than explode on contact, so we shoot them around corners.

However, I have a suggestion to rename something that makes more sense...

Annihilation mod was named after the game Total Annihilation", yet that's about where the similarities end.

In Total Annihilation, there were two factions. ARM vs Core.

ARM had a weapon called the Annihilator, which was an energy based laser weapon that could destroy most targets with a single shot.

Core had a similar weapon called the Doomsday Machine. It could fire more rapidly, and had a variety of different strength lasers.

Therefor, I suggest we rename standard particle beam mode to "Annihilator mode" and turret killer mode to "Doomsday mode".
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

^^^ That would be much cooler to rename. I totally agree
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

probably easier to rename too. not as many instances of it in the files
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

True... You'd fuck up everyone favs by changing item descriptions, but the name of a weapon mode won't effect anything.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Because people going invisible, leaving explosive copies of themselves around and teleporting is OK, but that pesky gun isn't accurately named!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

You forgot jet packs, rocket jumping, energy shields, and walking through walls...
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

Yeah, but it's not like we haven't brought all those issues up in topics to get them all addressed and do what we can about it. I wish I had a copy of the Legendz mod so I could just code it all out myself. Might take a while longer but I don't have anything else to do anyways.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'll spare you the headache by not sending it to you.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

perrinoia wrote:I'll spare you the headache by not sending it to you.
Thanks!