How to keep moles out of your lawn.

Which method do you prefer?

1) Allow players to get where ever they can.
20%
2) Make rules that admins must enforce.
27%
3) Disable zappy inventory turrets when they can't see each other.
7%
4) Deploy check that prevents inventory stations from deploying when zappy turrets won't be able to see each other.
47%

Total votes: 15

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: How to keep moles out of your lawn.

Post by perrinoia »

I couldn't agree more, but you never had to cart a portable generator across the map, before...

You carry your mobile inventory station across the map, drop it, deploy inventory beacon, buy portable generator or solar panel, deploy, pickup dropped mobile inventory station, and deploy.

Or, just deploy an airbase where you want power...
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I guess I'll have to rewrite power functions...

I'll post a poll to decide how to go about it.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

[quote="vistalize"][/quote]

Or we could just add 'cannot deploy, too close to the enemy flag' as a deploy restriction for mobile inventories. I don't see what portable generators have to do with it. If anything adding the ability to deploy generators would make it even more like builder mode.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I wish deploy checks worked like the Protoss from StarCraft, where you can only build stuff within range of a pylon (power supply).

It wouldn't matter for the things you can move with pitchfork anyway, or for the generators themselves, but for everything else (turrets, sensors, stations), they should all require a power source, not only to deploy, but also to operate.

That's my opinion, but I think it's an unpopular opinion.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Death666 wrote:
vistalize wrote:
Or we could just add 'cannot deploy, too close to the enemy flag' as a deploy restriction for mobile inventories. I don't see what portable generators have to do with it. If anything adding the ability to deploy generators would make it even more like builder mode.
Wont matter... someone can still go way up in the sky plant a mobile inventory and drop massive det packs on ur base. Portable generators have alot to do with the mechanics of the game which i have been explaining for over a year now.
EvilTree{OZ}
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

Evil, just needs to learn how to kill those noobs faster lol. Spends all that time struggling with it lol. It's annoying but it's not a big deal to kill them, I mean they just stand there while you shoot them and if you've set D just right most of the time they don't even kill it.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

There are some maps where the flag is out in the open, and the only way to prevent det pack spammers from clearing your defenses is to use happy mod to swat them out of the clouds.

I completely agree with vistalize/EvilTree that we need to fix the power functions. (Hey, I finally acknowledged they are one and the same!)

Anyway, I've been looking into the power functions and I've noticed a few problems, which is funny, because I'm reading code that works, not what is currently running on the server.

Base generator code is not designed for deployables. None of the deployables in base require generators, they are all self sufficient. Also, the most crucial part of that code is compiled into the exe, rather than included in an open source script.

In Annihilation, the solution was "PowerCycle". PowerCycle runs once per second for each object that requires power, and searches for viable power sources. Every time you kill a generator, you cause a new reoccurring instance of function PowerCycle for each object that just lost power. It only needs to run ONCE, each time a generator is killed, but, instead, it's running thousands of times a second by the time a regular action packed mission ends.

The reason it runs so often, is because it sucks at finding another generator. When you deploy a generator, the script finds objects the generator should be powering, and declares itself as a backup generator. Powered objects will forget any previously declared backup power sources, when this happens, so if you deploy a portable generator, and then a solar panel, the portable generator will power nothing, and the solar panel becomes the primary backup generator.

On top of all of those issues, there's a problem with the airbase. The airbase has solar panels. They are regular base solar panels, not designed or coded to be added mid mission.

The solution is simple, and yet it's also simultaneously complex.

Step 1: Make airbase solar panels different from base solar panels (new datablock).
Step 2: Override the base power functions compiled in the exe, by declaring "generatePower" events for any deployable generators (including the airbase solar panels), so they power any friendly objects in range, rather than only objects in the same branch of the group tree.
Step 3: Rewrite all "onPower" events to search for viable alternatives if the current power source is false.

The end result will be a power grid that instantly switches to backups as needed rather than spamming the console with messages about failed cycle attempts throughout the entire game.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Perrinoia would you be so kind as to rewrite the power functions? It would also be nice to have portable generators that work correctly with the deployed mobile inventories. Do you still have dropbox?