New weapon - Force Field Buster

Azul

New weapon - Force Field Buster

Post by Azul »

Got this idea off another mod in Tribes, that crazy one with a ton of weapons and turrets. Maybe Ultra Renegades? or something. I only ever really played Anni.

Anyway its a weapon that does very very little player damage but big big damage to deployable force fields, blast walls, platforms, jumpads, plasma floors, and bunkers.

A grenade launcher/mortar type weapon (lobbing projectile), that mod used a plasma ammo canister for its projectile, and it has a slow reload rate (almost as long as a baby nuke or phase disrupter). Maybe only 6-8 ammo.

I'm thinking Warrior and/or Angel class only. The other classes have means of dealing with base defense but not these two. Chameleon is probably already too powerful for this weapon.

Would be an answer to the current (terrible) metagame of people stacking a whole bunch of shit on the flag and calling it defense. Thoughts?
DaRk

Re: New weapon - Force Field Buster

Post by DaRk »

The forcefield buster in UR would be too OP for Anni. Would have to be nerfed.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I think deployable barriers should all be nurfed, so any armor can destroy them with a reasonable amount of ammo, like any official annihilation release had, before.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:I think deployable barriers should all be nurfed, so any armor can destroy them with a reasonable amount of ammo, like any official annihilation release had, before.
X2
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

KILROY wrote:
perrinoia wrote:I think deployable barriers should all be nurfed, so any armor can destroy them with a reasonable amount of ammo, like any official annihilation release had, before.
X2
X3
MKVegaStar^

Post by MKVegaStar^ »

I had an idea of a type of mortar were it collapses the floor/ground. A black hole weapon.
and/or
A pack that temp moves tank fast with boosting ability
and/or
a "distraction dummy" either running forward or stationary (To find enemies location)
and/or
Biological Nuke (-Temp Zone damage- like if gas were to stick around) could be an "1 button" option for existing mini nuke launcher
:crow:
PS I like Azul's idea of angel able to deliver plasma ordinance.
<!>MKV
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Mad max mod, had a weapon that shot a pair of things that looked like blue mortars, but they had gravity like the vortex turret projectiles, but much stronger...

The two projectiles orbited each other, and sucked every player on the map towards them, too.

The players would get sucked in, then they'd slingshot right around and usually collide with a wall and die.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

I've actually been toying around with the idea of having pitchforks set any deployable that's not on their own team to max damage instantly or after a second or two. Firstly and probably most importantly this would save a lot of items from reaching their deploy limit from being forked into walls and floors by the enemy team (they won't be able to move your deployables at all). Secondly it would prevent your own teams defense from being used as a shield by enemy builders and lastly it would prevent your base being blocked or cluttered up by your own teams defense by an enemy builder.

Thoughts?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'm a little confused by that idea...

When you say "set any deployable that's not on their own team to max damage instantly or after a second or two", do you mean instantly or quickly destroy any enemy deployable grabbed?

On the one hand, that would definitely prevent enemies from scuttling your deployables in the floor/walls or under the terrain.
On the other hand, the real problem is that NONE of the armors can destroy defenses quick enough, EXCEPT builder...

We've already increased deployable item maxes for the reasons you've described.

Now, I do have a scenario in which I do not like your idea... I frequently grab enemy deployables and use them as shields while dismantling defenses... This would completely prevent me from doing that.

Here's a better idea... You know how you can weld barriers in place so your teammates can't scuttle them? (if so, you're welcome) Why don't we use the same keybind to destruct barriers... So, you grab an enemy barrier, press 1 or 6 to switch weapon modes, and the barrier is reduced to dust, or maybe even converted back into a pack. This way you can still move them if you want, or you can destroy them rapidly...

Does this idea solve the problem with scuttling defenses? No...
Does this idea solve the problem indestructible defenses? Only for the one armor that could already scuttle them...

Never mind, this is a useless idea.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Increasing the item max doesn't solve the problem of having a bunch of deployables potentially inside walls for the rest of the map. Even unseen I believe they use the resources of the server slightly and unfortunately the best offensive tactic as a builder is usually to put the enemy deployables in the floor so that they can't grab them and put them back on their defense or their flag. You would still be able to put your own teams deployables completely in the floor, but there wouldn't be a game play incentive to do so.