Anti spam measures

perrinoia
Site Admin

Anti spam measures

Post by perrinoia »

I just had an idea...

What if everyone had the ability to ban spammers? Well.... Almost everyone.

Step 1: Using the post count ranking system, automatically promote anyone with more than, maybe 100, posts, to an admin group, which has the ability to moderate anyone in the sub 100 post group.
Step 2: Everything works itself out. Unless legit noobs register and everyone goes ban happy on them.
KILROY

Re: Anti spam measures

Post by KILROY »

LOL....too bad you can't do this with your email accounts.

EDIT: Corrected typo's.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

My email accounts mostly filter themselves. Very rarely does one get through.

Then again, I've got a throw away account that I give businesses and gaming forums so as not to clutter up my real account.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Well...my Yahoo account is getting a bunch of spam now...probably 50-100 a day. Some for medicine from Canada, concealed gun licenses, but mostly a bunch relaying a quick lay, some with or without pics. Can block them, but like any spammer, they change their email account names sending, and the IP it comes from, or they bounce off other peoples email's to send spam. I haven't figured out a way yet to trace them, nor have I asked my brother-in-law who is a supervisor for the Data IP team for Century Link, LLC now, but when I do get around to talking to him about this, and if he does have a solution, I'll then see what can be done. So far, everything I've read online, no one has figured out how to resolve this issue yet. If there is a way to trace the source of the spam via IP, then I know I can take them down remotely via a soft loop on their services. If in the US, they will be picked up by local authorities for many internet laws broken. If in another country, I will have to contact the authorities their and see if anything can be done, if not, then I will have their IP blacklisted and banned for entering US circuits.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

The problem with tracing the IP is you'll end up finding a server like dynect, which provides email services for not just the frequent spammer, but also the occasional emergency broadcast. The automated alert service I used to provide tech support for outsourced their email services through dynect, despite my warning that I'd previously personally blocked all emails from their server due to spam, and many of the parent's of the students who attend the schools that were clients of ours might have done the same.

Good God, that was a long sentence.

Anyway. A better idea is to sample some of the emails and create filters.

Any emails that contain certain keywords automatically get marked as spam and deleted after 24 hours.

Some of the keywords on the list are; penis, mortgage, etc...

I also have whitelisted addresses who can avoid the filter... Wouldn't want my family to get marked as spam for discussing their finances, or my imaginary girlfriend to get marked as spam for sext-email-ing me.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

NP, we got one of the spammers, a female from Germany, including her physical address where she lives. Can't post that information, sorry.

I've cut my spam down now to maybe a couple dozen a day now. Teach her to never mess with the company that can monitor the Worlds communications, and is the "Main" provider that provides to the company she is paying for her own services.

Took my brother-in-law about 10 minutes to find this spammer after I gave him the information from the raw message info. from the spam emails, and the mta ports that were used for the Yahoo servers. Wish I knew how to do what he does with the IP's. I only do the main lines the IP's run off of.

We already contacted her provider 1&1 Internet to make them aware of the international laws she has been breaking, and the local authorities have been notified, and they need to shut down her services immediately.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Fantastic work, Kilroy.

Now, can you track down those cunts that spoof local phone numbers and offer me resort rewards so I can get in on the $500/phone call class action lawsuit?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Sorry, those work off radio frequencies. That's a different department in my company.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Really? I didn't realize it would even be the same company.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Well America Tower Corporation owns the most towers, and they have their own engineers that do the physical repair work like most of the other businesses, or outsource it, but all these companies don't have the ability or manpower to monitor them all or remote access to test them out to find out any issues, nor do they want to spend the extra time purchasing or leasing a location, hiring people (including paying for their benefits), and purchasing equipment to do so. So they pay Century Link to do this for them, since we already have all that setup in every state, city, and country. All your cell towers have some sort of lines running to it, copper or fiber, and we have access to monitor these lines with our network if it's connected to it via the access given to us by the company using it.

The foreseeable problem I see in the future is I'm seeing a bunch of your City Public Services switching out your home meters to new ones digital one's that work like a computer that monitors your house and can tell them when your power goes out, or you can access it online and see your power usage, and they don't have to send someone out to read your meter anymore. They can do it remotely from their offices via their own computers setup and just bill you. They are already using these overseas since the early 2,000's. They can start to modify these to make them do the same thing with cell phone and internet services at some point, and possibly even have it so these boxes can do remote testing to determine the cause of the problem. If this ever happens, this will take away a whole bunch of job duties from people and they will have to look at doing something else for their livelihood. Computers are a good thing, but they can also ruin jobs in the future by taking them away from human beings.