Blocking invisibility for players using 1.11

Erowid
Site Admin

Re: Blocking invisibility for players using 1.11

Post by Erowid »

Mr.Fixit wrote:Ha, I'm the one Ero was playing against when he started ranting about this. I play on an old WinXP computer that only runs 1.11 (I've tried other versions and they crash) and I was using the invisibility pack to get around his turrets.

As an invis user, I'm perfectly fine with the other players being able to see me as long as their turrets don't. As a practical matter, I've found that I'm almost never actually invisible even with the beacons active due to either HM or rendering packages or something. Based on their complaints, Ero and Jegue may be the only ones who can't see me. EatLead certainly has no trouble shooting me down with my beacon on.
to be fair I've been ranting about this since 2012

jINKS{OZ}

Post by jINKS{OZ} »

Beacon too long...need limited capabilities...me no like
Jegue

Post by Jegue »

Mr.Fixit wrote:Ha, I'm the one Ero was playing against when he started ranting about this. I play on an old WinXP computer that only runs 1.11 (I've tried other versions and they crash) and I was using the invisibility pack to get around his turrets.

As an invis user, I'm perfectly fine with the other players being able to see me as long as their turrets don't. As a practical matter, I've found that I'm almost never actually invisible even with the beacons active due to either HM or rendering packages or something. Based on their complaints, Ero and Jegue may be the only ones who can't see me. EatLead certainly has no trouble shooting me down with my beacon on.
You're not that hard to kill while invisible because you keep moving, so you can be detected by sound, turret fire or sometimes a visible IFF. Yes, chameleon insivibility is always a faggot move, but what really bothers me are those who camp with it, or use it combined with jail gun. I wouldn't care if switching to software mode was easier. But it takes some seconds to open the folders and open 1.30 Tribes, and I'm not used to my old config anymore...
- <!>Tariq^
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I use jail gun with chameleon pack and invisibility when the enemy team is building defenses faster than my team can destroy them, which is pretty much always.

But I use v1.41.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Don't seen the issue. It's an effective tool. Just like PB with zero ping is an effective tool.
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

OldGuy wrote:Don't seen the issue. It's an effective tool. Just like PB with zero ping is an effective tool.
You probably weren't around when the server was in Seattle, huh.

Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

Erowid wrote:I am proposing to disable the invisibility transparency for players not using 1.41. They should still get the invisibility perk against turret detection, but should not be able to turn transparent.
If they want transparency they can play on the same level playing field as everyone else with 1.41.
bump

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

I say try it out for awhile and see how everyone takes it. If we start loosing players, we can always change it back, or look for another solution.
LunaticChick

Post by LunaticChick »

As long as we are talking about this issue, let's talk about the over-powered interceptor. Let's vote to decrease the length of time it has to fly or the number of them per game or just the sheer power of it. Having someone using it during a map, especially a small map is a game changer and have noticed ppls drop since trying to defend yourself is pretty much impossible. Yeah, you can try to snipe them if you live long enough to. IMO, this is another issue that needs addressing, just saying.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Another thought, APC's that can damage Air Bases, to take them out.