suggested server changes

sabo1

suggested server changes

Post by sabo1 »

I would like to see more like the old tribes, less vehicle dominance and less teleport kind of things. Just my review of this mod.

1. the interceptor pack, with the jet that has unlimited ammo and pretty much unlimited gun range, really needs to be scrapped. You use to be able to counter these with the TITAN sam, but its been nerfed so bad, you need a few hits to take one out, 1 missile should kill this thing if you keep it in.

2. Necro 'no damage' shield, I dont play these a lot but the ghost pack really seems to go against the game. this makes defense useless and in the open field makes the necro very tough combined with its invis beacons and sniper weapon. I would really consider just scrapping Necro tbh. Or switching Necro up so his weapons are better for taking out defense, so it could be like a chem with different weapons. I dont mind if his ghost pack made him immune to lasers and invis, just dont like the go though walls things.

3. invis beacon, I dont mind invis, they can be countered with motion detectors, but if people get mad you could consider reducing the invis time a bit or even making it so you have to come out invis a few seconds before going back. If you remove invis, the chem sniper weapons will need to hit much harder. Also consider extending detection range of motion detectors.

4. teleport pack and jail gun - both of these are garbage for the mod and often get abused. 1st time I got hit with the jail gun, I though a mod was being a dick to me, I had no idea it was from a player. I would remove them both.

5. bomber APC, I would like to see a bomb limit or more energy cost for bombs so they cant be spammed so frequently. Even better, remove it. Make tribes about people play and not the vehicles. And granted only a few uses these and the interceptors but the ones who do abuse them. APC dont need bombs when its carrying players.

6. Increase damage TO blast walls, platforms and big crates from certain weapons, like the chem high explosive grenades. Also maybe take some of the more under powered weapons that dont get used as much and make them hit the defenses much harder. I think the HP is fine for them, its easy to nuke/bomb them out as it is.

7. Instant Respawn, there should be a few second delay before you can respawn after death, like 3-5 seconds, Small penalty for dying, also opens up flag D for attacking teams when there isnt instant spawn.

I think the class balance is pretty decent at the moment, most classes have a deadly enough weapon to take any other out. Warrior is fine, who ever said buff warrior dont play them much or dont use their gun.
Erowid
Site Admin

Re: suggested server changes

Post by Erowid »

good suggestions

1. wouldn't be so bad if it didn't skip around, studdering makes it hard as fuck to hit, though one OS missile takes it out

2. necro ghost is important part of balancing, the threat of necro cap to an open flag buried in a base adds dimensions to the game.

3. ivis is ghey as fuck.

4. jail gun is OP if more people started using it. taking a titan out of the game for 30 seconds is one of the best things you can do defensively

5. bombers do run out of energy pretty quickly, and are really easy targets for anyone with a pbeam

6. defense has become so easy for anyone to set, you can have a setup before someone gets from one side to the other. It needs to be weak otherwise every map will be more of a stalemate than it already is.

7. as much as I hate it because it totally counters my playstyle, that is a fair balance.

DaRk

Post by DaRk »

1/5. Vehicles are less of a problem than they used to be. Their speed was nerfed awhile ago.

2. Ero said it.

3. Invis is alright in my book, just needs some modifications. Line making you visible for a period of time when you shoot and disabled for 1.11.

4. I don't see issues with teleport. Sometimes jailgun is the only way to get the flag back to avoid a turtle or stalemate.

6. D as Erowid has put it is easy and fast to set. It was nerfed for the better. Games just became stalemates with people turtling behind D. It took too long to kill D. Games are much more balanced between D and offense these days. Has made for more challenging matches.

7. I think you would regret being on the other end of this. This would make games less enjoyable for the lesser skilled players and not as much fun for the skilled players as it would get old quick and probably lead to people dropping.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

1. The interceptor is to damn fast! But it makes a hella good response to sniper campers and heavily defended airbases. Personally, I'd rather have the original optical seeking missile than a vehicle you ride on.

2. Necro 'no damage' shield, isn't a shield at all. Projectiles don't collide with ghosts just like ghosts don't collide with walls. That being said, you can still damage ghosts by exploding things near them. Flamer and flame thrower are very effective against them.

3. Temporarily disabling invisibility upon firing a weapon is the best idea I've heard.

4.1. I've always been annoyed by the teleport packs functionality and limitations. For instance, you build one teleport, then go across the map to build another but find out someone else also built one back at base. Now there's 2 teleport pads at base and you've got a heavy useless backpack in the field. Once upon a time, i was working on replacing the teleport pad with a teleport station, which would permit you to have more than 2, and choose destinations. I coded the teleport pads as turrets, so you could remote control them to preview where they are, and fire to teleport there.

4.2. jail gun/cell/tower is lame. I wanted to replace it, and stasis spell with tranquilizers. You shoot someone with a tranq, they observe themselves play a death animation, and anyone who touches an unconscious body will steal their items just like if they were dead. But they'd regain consciousness in like 4 seconds (because that's how long the animation lasts), so you might as well plant a mine on them or something before you leave.

5. bomber APC, is the shit, so you and your opinion can go back where you came from... Up yours! Right S']['U? :gfive:

6. The problem with barriers is not so much health/damage, rather it's sunken insertion points. When you deploy a turret cover or blast wall, then use a pitchfork to push it slightly into the surface you deployed it on, you've effectively shielded the insertion point of that object with an indestructible object. The only way to damage the barrier at that point is with particle beam. They also made the max damage value for barriers 10 times that of the original mod, so it took 2.5 fully charged shots to kill 1 even though it takes 2.5 milliseconds to stack the entire team item limit worth of barriers over a single turret. I think it's been nerfed a bit since then, but not enough.

7. Respawn should not be possible while you have more live allies than enemies, and teams should only be locked during tournaments. In other words, you should be able to stack all of the players on one team, but only one of them would be permitted to spawn at a time until an enemy spawned. Without considering skill levels, this would keep the game balanced at all times.
sabo1

Post by sabo1 »

The vehicles ruin the game, and with the power of the weapons available and range of classes, they are not needed, and they are abused.

The interceptor is pure garbage, take the pulse gun from it and give it back the missile if your gonna keep it.

The interceptors speed, gun range and rate of fire, with unlimited ammo is nonsense. I wouldnt mind as much if this was from a vehicle station only but a pack is kinda nonsense.

The bomber is not so bad, I just wish it was not so fast and the bombs took more energy to drop and/or have a limit.

Interceptor is such garbage you will turn away players, and as it is there is not enough people on the server as it is. I know a few of you probably love this and dont care it ruins the game but yea, time to recognize its crap play. Also the thing has too much hit points, it should not take more then 1 sam to kill this, if you want to have it so fast with so much firepower then it should be like glass as hit points are concerned.

and the titan guided missile (I called ti sam) was nerfed a bit back, to the point, the interceptor can take multiple hits and its slow as hell. You want to keep the interceptor boost the titan missile and nero bashers damage to them.

Same with the jail guns, should be removed. Yea ok its good for attacking D, like the necro, but there are so many brute force weapons is this game they are simply cop outs. These weapons are easily abused, and is another thing that will turn players away from the server. I remember the 1st time I got hit with it, I thought an admin was being a dick to me, I had no idea a player teleported me, and I quit out the game.

I can show you all 1st hand how the jail can be abusive in game, but I rather not because I think its garbage. All teleport stuff should be removed imo. I can do the same abuse with the teleport pack. Turret stuff up and just teleport you to it.

So many brute force weapons in this game, I dont see why these are needed. It just seems to add to garbage play on the server.

adding a little spawn time (like 3-5 seconds) adds a penalty for dying, and helps open up flag D, and would reduce the need for the ghost pack necro and jail gun garbage. Or maybe you get spawn time penalty for dying too quickly from your last death? To reduce on the endless wave of instant respawn boost warriors attacking you. You kill someone you should get a few seconds to regroup. You have a 20 second jail penalty, and you think a small respawn would be too much??!

Just my perspective/feedback from playing on this server a few years...
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Vehicles don't ruin the game and they were nerfed long ago. They were much faster when STU was around. Our player base has not shrunk because of them. Intercepters are not too hard to shoot out of the sky with sniper or pbeam. Practice more.

Not many use jail and we all know it can be abuse on air maps. That being said, most people suicide anyways, so it really doesn't matter. You used to be able to place it way outside the map boundary and I'm pretty sure I'm one of the main reasons that was fixed =D. If invisibility was fixed, it might be less of a problem. It also really helps disabling heavy players like Ero, Ozzie, and me and can help balance a map, or even helps clear out heavy and buried D like on broadside.
Jegue

Post by Jegue »

1. The interceptor's gun does little damage, unless you accept being shot and absolutely don't move. Both interceptor and bomber are ok

2. I agree with Ero

3. Maybe it should be removed completely. I like Sabo1's idea though

4. Keep both. If the invisibility beacon is to be kept, the jail gun shouldn't work while it's active, and vice-versa

5. Bomber isn't too hard to hit, and I'm not even a good sniper

6. Damage has already been increased, you kill them with a single particle beam shot

7. I agree with Dark, this wouldn't be good

(Edit: fix'd)
Last edited by Jegue on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- <!>Tariq^
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Jegue wrote:3. Maybe it should be removed completely. I like Perrin's idea though
My idea? I only said sabo1's idea was good. Wouldn't be right to take credit for that.
Mr.Fixit

Post by Mr.Fixit »

1, 2, 4 & 5 - don't care. They're fine the way they are.
6 sounds good
7 seems like a bad idea to me for the reasons mentioned above
3 - Be always visible to players but not to turrets and sensors (motion included) while the beacon is active. So more like a super-jammer beacon than invisibility.

The change I'd really love to see is heavies being heavy and not being able to fly, rocket, etc. They're supposed to be like tanks, right? Tanks stay on the ground unless aboard an aircraft, why not our heavies? And if they do get up on something high, they should fall like bricks if they jump off.

The point of this is to stop that scenario where the enemy heavies come arcing in from across the map in one jump spamming nukes in front of them. If not sticking them firmly to the ground, at least make them need lots of short hops or an APC.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Only tank armor is supposed to be like a tank, and even it can be rocketed across the map.