Computer issue

Pandora

Computer issue

Post by Pandora »

Basics: I have a basic Dell desktop computer. It worked about a week ago. I didn't download or install anything on it, nor did I replace any hardware.

When I go to start it up, the monitor will turn on, but then shut off because the tower isn't working. The tower itself turns on. The fan turns on as if it's running. All the tower does is just beep. 4 beeps, nothing, 4 beeps, ect. It doesn't do anything besides that. I've tried unplugging everything and starting it up and changing the plugs. Shit isn't working. Any help? :cry:
Erowid
Site Admin

Re: Computer issue

Post by Erowid »

Does your Hard drive power on/spin?

TXRedneck

Post by TXRedneck »

A) It's a Dell

B) You need a new Motherboard

C) I'm full of shyt :mrgreen:

Something is def wrong there. Could be one of many things. How's your power supply?
Scud

Post by Scud »

My comp did something similar not too long ago and the guy who fixed it could get an idea by the beeps. I had some virus that he took care of and he made a number of other adjustments and physically cleaned the thing out which dramatically improved my computers processing performance. I payed like 90 bucks.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Erowid, the hard drive at first turns on, but that's only initially. It doesn't spin.

Longhorn, what can I say, I don't use the desktop for much. The basics is all I need. I love my laptop more. Plus I'm cheap :) I figure the fan won't run if the power supply is the issue. :?:

Scud, I've been scouring the internet to get an idea as to what the beeps could be. http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm That's what I've been going by, but I wanted to get some other suggestions before I took it apart myself. If I can't get it, that will probably be my last resort. Might as well learn something along the way though.
bo'sdad

Post by bo'sdad »

I know this will sound totally nuts, but this happened to me with my old comp. when I would go to start it the same sort of things would happen. I had a buddy of mine come over and look at it. he laughed and said here it is and pushed the start button a second time and it started running. the problem was, the start button was sticking and it would stay pushed in just a lil bit. after that I used it for about another year, always keeping in mind that I needed to make sure the button came all the way back out when I started the computer. anyway, it's probably not the problem, but it's worth a look.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

so ur comp runs it just ur monitor not turning on?
EvilTree{OZ}
Matt Fox

Post by Matt Fox »

Video card ....
Speechless Gaming Team - {TXM} Forum

Tree's Number One Bitch.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

I never figured out what it was. I took it apart, unplugged everything, cleaned it all, and reinstalled it. Turned it on and it ran like normal.
(=SK=)Zorak

Post by (=SK=)Zorak »

First step: Find out model of Motherboard.

Second step: Look up POST(Power On Self Test) beep codes for that Motherboard.

Third step: Profit.