Windows 8 Plugins Fix

Groove

Windows 8 Plugins Fix

Post by Groove »

Tribes_win8or10_PluginFix_REG.zip

Tribes_141_win8_pluginfix.zip <---- dont use this anymore use the registry fix instead
Last edited by Groove on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaRk

Re: Windows 8 Plugins Fix

Post by DaRk »

Windows 8 Plugin Fix Plugin
-https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7IAE ... FJnZ1RBOVk

Windows 8 Fix EXE
-https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7IAE ... UtXN1NoUWc

*You should first try the plugin fix, as the issue with plugins not loading is due to a registry edit by Windows 8/10. If that is not working, you can try the .exe. The .exe just codes the plugin loader to run and may not work with all plugins. Also, if your plugins stop working after a Windows update, such as mine did, just re-run the plugin fix.

All my Tribes files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7IAE ... 0NkOFctODA
Last edited by DaRk on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Wait, what does this fix?
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Plugin loader issues in Windows 8. They were not loading in Crow's TribesHD config.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5825&start=10
Groove

Post by Groove »

perrinoia wrote:Wait, what does this fix?
NoFiX's pluginloader hijacks rasadhlp.dll, which would normally load from the working directory if present in win7 and below

for whatever reason that i couldn't figure out, tribes always loads rasadhlp.dll from \system32 in Win8 and ignores the replacement .dll in the CWD

all i did was modify the .exe to load rasadhlp.dll the same way that greyhounds patched tribes.exe loads ScriptGL without pluginloader

glad to hear it worked 4 ya Dark, there really shouldn't be anything that can go wrong with this method other than the fact that its a modified .exe :)
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Cool. I didn't realize that was the problem with his config.
Groove

Post by Groove »

just a followup - Windows 10 still needs the fix (and the fix still works under 10)
Groove

Post by Groove »

so i finally found the root of this problem - it's just a registry key in win8+ that's different, its specifying the path of rasadhlp.dll and therefore never searches the current working directory

but ... now that i've distributed this .exe fix... ugh. i never liked the .exe fix to be honest - it was a hacky way to do it that loads plugins too early for certain functions to work properly

i suspect netset is affected by this - people just don't notice because netset is such a 'feely' kinda thing - but i don't think its applying its settings properly on init with my win8 pluginfix .exe
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

:hscratch:
Groove

Post by Groove »

perrinoia wrote::hscratch:
Tribes_win8or10_PluginFix_REG.zip

registry fix = better cause:

- it affects all tribes.exe's on your system
- there's already too many damn modified exes out there
- hey who knows what else i put into that patched .exe i gave u - but you can open up these .reg files and see that all its doing is removing the path to rasadhlp.dll
- you don't have to move scriptGL.dll around if u change .exes
- i never released a 1.40 version of the pluginfix .exe so there was no way to use stock 1.40 with plugins under 8 or 10
- loads plugins last where they have full access to all variables and functions that have been loaded like they always were before my kinda sketchy bad .exe fix

really its just the last thing that's a biggie to me since it's been breaking a plugin i've been making and any plugins i release in the future wont be compatable with the win8 pluginfix .exe so i want to strongly discourage its use

i kinda wish i'd never been so hasty to release that .exe fix and found the true root of the problem back then