Tribes on Win7

blankgirl

Tribes on Win7

Post by blankgirl »

I'm about at my wits' end. Given, it's not a long wit, but nevertheless...

I've installed and tried to get Tribes running 3x now on my friend (ThorneLady)'s pc at her home.

At first I loaded my personal edit and it lagged so bad you couldn't even move. So I thought emptying the temp folder(which had 100+ ss's) would make a difference. Nope. I then emptied the stats folder, as it had over 100 files and I didn't even know my config saved stats. Emptying that did no good and the install still lagged so horrible it wouldn't even play Demos or One-Player missions.

Next, I abandoned hope for her having my graphics and script set-up. So I d/l'd Tribes1.40.655HQ from www.thelandofoz.net. Unzipped it, opened it and *shit*. It has a higher frame rate, but her ping always hovers around 300-400+. So now there's at least motion on the screen, but moving around is out of the question. Can't Jet, shoot my gun, access an inventory station, etc. BUT, this install allows for the watching of Demos. Given, they only show one frame per 3 seconds, but it's a step in the right direction

I then remember S_hift, at one point, had a config for low-end systems. So I tracked that down and downloaded it. The contents consisted of a "base" folder and a "config" folder. I simply dropped 'em in and replaced all similar files...Nothing changed.

WTF am I doing wrong here? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Please help me

blank
Lawlz wrote:
S']['U wrote:
DaJ4ck3L wrote:i love blank girl
:ghey:

You do know that blankgirl is a guy, right? :shh:
I think everyone knows this since he posts pictures of himself after a fucked-up nights. XD
AnniDv6

Re: Tribes on Win7

Post by AnniDv6 »

It could be your hardware. Maybe check your graphics card settings and turn off AA for tribes.exe, also try disables DEP for tribes.exe
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... SignedIn=1

Try launching tribes and then going to your task manager and going to the affinity settings for tribes.exe and disable all but one core.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Run dxdiag and post results.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

What resolution are you playing at?
My shitty computer does the same thing at anything more than 800 x 600.
I know a better video card would fix this, but I've been unable to find one that will fit in my available slot.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, I get that a lot, too.

Oh wait, we're talking about graphics cards?
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Odd. Now I'm having this issue, only when trying to stream with OBS though. Like 1fps, 500 ping. Never had this happen before.

edit: I ended up rolling back my video card drivers and the issue was resolved.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Nice, thanks for that update Fixious.
Groove

Post by Groove »

if i had to guess i'd say it probably only has the windows WDM drivers for the videocard or really old broken drivers

(or its really really horrible integrated videocard)
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Huh. So I re-downloaded the driver and manually assigned Tribes to use the main GPU and it seems the issue is gone. Looks like updating the driver reset a few things and it was trying to use the on-board GPU or something. One oddity I ran into was checking my fps through the Tribe console. When Tribes (while windowed) was focused it displayed a steady 60 fps, however when I focused on another window the fps kept increasing. I let it go to 2000 before ending it. It was very obviously not 2000fps, as I could see the main menu spinning logo was slightly choppy.

I don't know if that's a bug with Tribes' fps counter or something else. Made me chuckle a bit.
Groove

Post by Groove »

with no vsync and almost no load in the menus it's pretty common for me to get 2200-3000 fps in the menus

game was probably cranking out that many fps internally it was just the driver fucking up the draws