WinRAR or WinZip?

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: WinRAR or WinZip?

Post by perrinoia »

Windows Explorer can read and write zip files, but it cannot split zip files into multiple parts to fit on diminutive removable media, such as floppy discs, CDs, and old USB thumb drives.
WinRAR can, with both zip and rar files.
I believe 7-zip has this ability too, but I've always been satisfied with WinRAR, so I've never tried 7-zip.

My favorite feature of WinRAR is cascading context menus:
Context.png
The add to archive.rar option will create a rar file containing the highlighted file(s) with a matching name.
The add to archive... option will open a dialog box with more options, such as what to name it, where the archive should be created, how many pieces to break it into, etc...

The other two options launch Microsoft Outlook, which I don't use.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

perrinoia wrote:Windows Explorer can read and write zip files, but it cannot split zip files into multiple parts to fit on diminutive removable media, such as floppy discs, CDs, and old USB thumb drives.
Hmmm... I always used HJ-Split for that.
It will also combine mp4 files into one file, which I found handy for combining two songs that overlap but are still separated by tracks.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Winrar doesn't split mp4 files, just supported archival formats, such as zip and rar.
virus

Post by virus »

perrinoia wrote:Windows Explorer can read and write zip files, but it cannot split zip files into multiple parts to fit on diminutive removable media, such as floppy discs, CDs, and old USB thumb drives.
This is a life saving feature for those, like me, who are too cheap to buy DVDs, and only have CDs.
[NHOP]Virus
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

You guys still burn CDs and DVDs?

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Erowid wrote:You guys still burn CDs and DVDs?
Depends on what to burn. If a movie that I want to keep with my collection that I started back in the early 80's with VHS Tapes, in which I'm converting them to a higher definition then burning to a DVD, then yes. Other than that, I mostly use RAM Sticks or portable HD's now.

But as for my movie collection on VHS, DVD, and external HD's....I have thousands.

EDIT: Heck, I can say the same for my music collection also. I still have cassettes and players that work, but you want to hear of something really old that I still use......8-Tracks, LP's, and Reel to Reel :coolio:
virus

Post by virus »

If I'm giving files away, I definitely burn files to disc. I'm not giving away my flash drives.
[NHOP]Virus
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

K, I decided to go with WinRAR on this issue, due to your recommendations. I DL'd it and then ran into an problem. It still wouldn't show my zipped up files as a zip file. My zip files showed as a Word Document file and wouldn't associate itself as a zip file. So I thought maybe I had a bad DL and uninstalled it. I reinstalled it again and started looking at all the menus it provided. On the menu that showed a big listing of everything it can convert, two of the boxes were not check marked, so I marked them, but also noticed on the right side of the window box that it relayed it could convert "Older Archived Files" which also was not checked. I checked it and continued with the installation. After I was done, I went back to my Download Folder to review my zipped files. WinRAR then showed "ALL" my files that were zipped up to be zipped up files. So, with this said, either some of my zipped files were older versions of a zip file that WinRAR needed to recognize, or somehow after I uninstalled my trial version of WinZip, the files associated themselves to a Word Document file, in which I had to re-associate them to a Zipped file again using WinRAR.

But thanks to all for the advice and help.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

EDIT: The reason I was needing another Zip program, is I have this 2005 game called Act of War - Direct Action which does not play on Windows 8 or 8.1, but STEAM has hosted an updated version that Atari developed due to all the complaints in which this does not run on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 on 32 or 64 bit operating systems. Version 1.06.3 was created to resolve this. So now I can apply patches for this and many other older style games I have for this new MSI laptop.

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I used to own an MSI laptop... It didn't last long. The body was too flexible, and I think I bent the motherboard while lifting the laptop with one hand. It never booted again.

Also, whenever filetype associations get fucked up in windows, just right click the file, choose "Open With" from the context menu, then check the box that says "Associate this program with this filetype" and select the program you want to use.

However, reinstalling WinRAR with all the boxes (except malware) checked does this for every filetype WinRAR is capable of reading, so that is more efficient.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Actually, this MSI laptop is 7.7 lbs. Really heavy, with a solid steal body. Here, better I just post it up from Newegg. They are out of stock now, but Amazon still has them. I upgraded mine already with a 128 Gig SSD, and I now have 16 Gigs of RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152557

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT60-Dominato ... B00IMTQ5G4