Anyone with experience in running coaxial cable......

KILROY

Anyone with experience in running coaxial cable......

Post by KILROY »

Anyone have experience in running coaxial cable? If so, have a question. I have about a 550 ft. run that I would like to do to get cable services. I'm currently with crappy ATT on a 6 meg DSL line, which I'm paying between $65 and $78 a month for. (Depends if I go over the 350 gigs they regulate me to a month, $10 for another 10 gigs after that.) RG6 won't work at that distance, so I was thinking maybe RG11, but RG11 is very hard to work with due to the stiffness and they say it takes a special connector compared to the RG6 cabling. Time Warner relayed that my place is non-serviceable due to this distance. They just don't want to run the cable. They are just outside my gate which is this 550 ft. distance run.

I already have a 1,000 ft. bulk spool of RG6 that I bought years ago. I was thinking due to the 306 ft. this is limited to that I would run this sleeved under ground on by the fence line, and at the same time run an electrical line, and midway put in a line amplifier to boost the signal for the remaining distance and use another amp at the end.

Or break down and buy some different cable.

What do you think, recommend?
S']['U

Re: Anyone with experience in running coaxial cable......

Post by S']['U »

<!>KILROY wrote:Anyone have experience in running coaxial cable? If so, have a question. I have about a 550 ft. run that I would like to do to get cable services. I'm currently with crappy ATT on a 6 meg DSL line, which I'm paying between $65 and $78 a month for. (Depends if I go over the 350 gigs they regulate me to a month, $10 for another 10 gigs after that.) RG6 won't work at that distance, so I was thinking maybe RG11, but RG11 is very hard to work with due to the stiffness and they say it takes a special connector compared to the RG6 cabling. Time Warner relayed that my place is non-serviceable due to this distance. They just don't want to run the cable. They are just outside my gate which is this 550 ft. distance run.

I already have a 1,000 ft. bulk spool of RG6 that I bought years ago. I was thinking due to the 306 ft. this is limited to that I would run this sleeved under ground on by the fence line, and at the same time run an electrical line, and midway put in a line amplifier to boost the signal for the remaining distance and use another amp at the end.

Or break down and buy some different cable.

What do you think, recommend?
I think you're asking for problems if you plan to run electrical next to it. :nono:
As a former DirecTV installer. I was taught that running cable parallel with electrical lines can induce interference into the cable...especially on long runs.

I'm not sure what frequency requirements are needed by your cable system, but I do know that DirecTV requires cable rated at 3.0ghz.
This is especially important with long cable-runs.
(The frequency rating should be printed right on the cable.)
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

How much power does a cable amp require? Can you get away with a battery and solar panel?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:How much power does a cable amp require? Can you get away with a battery and solar panel?
Yeah, this was another thought. I already have Deep Cycle Marine Batteries, with solar panels that I can connect to each one, but if there was a better way to do this without having to use the batteries and solar panels, which the panels could eventually get broken due to the wild animals on this 8 1/2 acre property surrounded by cattle ranchers on all sides besides my front, which is a housing community, I'm open to all suggestions, but yes Perrinoia, your suggestion is one that I am considering, but would like to know any other thoughts.

Yeah STU, I kind of thought of that also, but if you ran both in a shielded cable sleeve run it could be done. I have done this with RJ6 Coax already for TV services off a digital antennae that is 12 or 24 volt powered, and it's working fine, with no interference from the other.

Just seeing all my options before I decide on doing one, so keep'em coming.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

[df]Satan used a set of ham radios with directional antennae to transmit Wi-Fi from his office building to his house, a couple of miles away.

I asked about interference from weather and birds and shit like that, and he agreed that it would theoretically be a problem, but that he hadn't actually noticed any issues like that in practice.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:[df]Satan used a set of ham radios with directional antennae to transmit Wi-Fi from his office building to his house, a couple of miles away.

I asked about interference from weather and birds and shit like that, and he agreed that it would theoretically be a problem, but that he hadn't actually noticed any issues like that in practice.
Interesting, I have some old ham radio gear that I'm not using with an antennae. Will start doing some online research and play around with it. Thanks for the suggestion.