Important Alert from "Microsoft"

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Important Alert from "Microsoft"

Post by perrinoia »

Stu, have you got ad block running?

Might also want to block alertfrommicrosoft.com or whatever...
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

perrinoia wrote:Stu, have you got ad block running?

Might also want to block alertfrommicrosoft.com or whatever...
This particular scam didn't give me any trouble.
In spite of what they said, my computer was not "locked" and I was able to easily close the page and go about my merry business.

I have a Chrome Extension (BlockSite) that allows me to block any URL I list and instead, redirects my browser to another URL of my choice.

My choice? about: blank

If I run across this again the worst that will happen is another tab will open on a blank page.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I run that extension as well, and ad block plus.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Does that work against the new ads being opened in your current browser and the link you clicked opening in a new tab? Also Microsofts messages to upgrade to win10 while using win8 are so frequent and intrusive that you might as well have an actual virus.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

No, it doesn't. Hopefully there will be a new adblock extension out that battles these dirty ad tactics.

As for GetWin10 notifications, I disabled the on my grandmother's computer, today... Took me 3 clicks of the mouse. Quit your bitching or upgrade, lol.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

I personally recommend that you upgrade to Win 10

I actually stopped crashing when I got a new video card too, I think the Open GL support might be what helped it.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

You probably just had a faulty video card.

I own 3 computers running Windows 10, and I've got mixed reviews on it...

It's flawless on my Surface Pro 2, except it can't handle Tribes with OpenGL... I've gotta run it in Software mode.

It's flawless on my custom gaming rig, no complaints at all.

But it doesn't seem compatible with the video card on my ASUS ET2400XVT, although, it might just be that a fan motor died or something and it's over heating... I don't know... It works fine until I load up a video game and play for a little bit, and then it gets wonky and starts crashing.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

Well I was more or less referring to Tribes, but it handles a lot better with the gfx card that I have now
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

Death666 wrote:Does that work against the new ads being opened in your current browser and the link you clicked opening in a new tab?
It does for me, but you have to add the ad's URL to your blocked list for it to work.
This is still helpful for common and persistent ads like creatives.livejasmin.com which seems to be everywhere.