Is anyone familiar with running their own website?

blankgirl

Is anyone familiar with running their own website?

Post by blankgirl »

I'm looking to open up a new website sometime around the month of February. I want the site to have forums, an image gallery, articles, and a shop section.

A few of the questions I have are:

1.) Will I need a separate host for the forums than the website itself?
2.) How do I safeguard the forums from having bots and other unwanted, and often automated, activity?
3.) How in the actual f*ck do I set up a way of getting a percentage of the sales? (as I will not be selling my own wares, but rather others)
4.) Is this a dumb idea?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks guys. :coolio:

Sincerely,

<!>blankgirl^

p.s. #4: This website will be centered around Psychedelics. I want it to be the ultimate place online to go if you're into psychedelics. And I already have a means to drive tons of traffic to the site. My fb page Psychedelic Themed Things has over 260,000 likes and continues to grow bigger every day. I'm looking to capitalize on this situation so as to make it all worth the time it took to do such a thing.
Lawlz wrote:
S']['U wrote:
DaJ4ck3L wrote:i love blank girl
:ghey:

You do know that blankgirl is a guy, right? :shh:
I think everyone knows this since he posts pictures of himself after a fucked-up nights. XD
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Is anyone familiar with running their own website?

Post by perrinoia »

I highly recommend ixwebhosting for any professional websites...

The bot struggle gets harder, the longer your website exists, and the more visitors your site gets. It requires man power to police.

As for stores... I've never tried to do that. I'm sure there are free scripts available, but you might be better off using a website like enay that already has a user base. simply add an ebay plugin or something to your website.
blankgirl

Post by blankgirl »

perrinoia wrote:I highly recommend ixwebhosting for any professional websites...

The bot struggle gets harder, the longer your website exists, and the more visitors your site gets. It requires man power to police.

As for stores... I've never tried to do that. I'm sure there are free scripts available, but you might be better off using a website like enay that already has a user base. simply add an ebay plugin or something to your website.
Thanks man. I was looking into blue host, but I'll take a look at ixwebhosting. An old Tribes friend of mine is in IT now and said as far as the store part of the site goes, it'd be easiest to do basically what you said.

<!>blankgirl

p.s. Did you mean "enay" or "ebay"???
perrinoia wrote:but you might be better off using a website like enay that already has a user base. simply add an ebay plugin or something to your website.
Lawlz wrote:
S']['U wrote:
DaJ4ck3L wrote:i love blank girl
:ghey:

You do know that blankgirl is a guy, right? :shh:
I think everyone knows this since he posts pictures of himself after a fucked-up nights. XD
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

ebay. that was a typo.