Possible to run a Tribes server on Linux?

Burg

Possible to run a Tribes server on Linux?

Post by Burg »

Hi all.
I play online from time to time as MaRaK Burg. I used to run a Tribes server back in the early 2000's and would like to do so again. Anyway, I have a home theater PC that runs Ubuntu and stays on 24/7. It is the only system I have that is directly connected to the cable modem. At the moment, I have not even tried running Tribes on it (although Unreal runs beautifully using WINE). Before I even attempt to set it up, I was just curious if anyone else had or is successfully running a server on Linux using WINE or some other method.

Thanks!
KILROY

Re: Possible to run a Tribes server on Linux?

Post by KILROY »

Hi Burg,

I haven't ran Starsiege Tribes in Linux, but I did have this site bookmarked for those that did, don't know if it will help you out:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=42447
Burg

Post by Burg »

Well, that looks promising. I should be able to give it a try this weekend.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yes. I have run tribes on ubuntu with wine.

It was not playable with a gui interface, but I was able to host a dedicated server, just fine.

The computer was an old laptop with integrated graphics, which barely ran tribes with Windows xp.
Burg

Post by Burg »

Well, I got everything configured, tested, and working on my Windows 7 system. Copied it over to the Linux box, launched via WINE, and it all seemed to work well, but it's not showing up when I run Tribes on my other systems. I might try tinkering with it if anyone has any suggestions. That system is due for a major overhaul though, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.
For the time being, I'm letting K-State Tribes run on the Windows 7 system.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

What's k-state?
Burg

Post by Burg »

Kansas State University. I was going to school there when I had my originally server running under the same name. Decided to keep the name the same for nostalgia!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Oh. I thought you were referring to an argument in the target line of your server shortcut. Server name makes more sense.