Lag on both 1.11 and 1.40

Nightmare OG

Lag on both 1.11 and 1.40

Post by Nightmare OG »

Serious lag. Red icon appearing in upper right hand corner repeatedly and game freezing when it does. Happens on both versions of tribes and I'm using wifi. I don't normally have a shitty connection so idk wtf is going on. Annoying as shit though....
KILROY

Re: Lag on both 1.11 and 1.40

Post by KILROY »

Have you tried resetting your router? You should do so once a week to clear cache. I have mine to do it during the week when no one is online.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Why are routers programmed that way?

Why don't they make the cache like a buffer that overwrites itself when it gets full?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Good question, not sure, I'm not that familiar with data lines, but my brother-in-law should know, but he's asleep, so won't be able to ask him till he wakes.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I used to have my router plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch for this very reason. Every time the internet got crappy, I'd flip the switch on my way to the kitchen to get a snack, then flip it back on my way to the computer.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Nice, but unfortunately mine won't work that way...it's on a back-up generator and a lithium battery. If the power goes out, the lithium battery keeps everything up till the generator kicks in. It's nice working from home, but the company knows your always available to work issue's.
Nightmare OG

Post by Nightmare OG »

hmm i use a modem. We honestly need it upgraded but lol
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

I take it your the only one online with only using one IP then. Although...you could have a modem that supports multiple IP's, but you would have to lease the IP's from your provider, and would need at least 3 to function properly. That's why I had to get a router. A router let's you take the one IP provided by your host, and split it up so multiple people in your household can use the one main line, and it cost's you nothing, except the cost of the router, and everyone can be wireless also, including more protection and a better firewall.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Most ISP provided modems contain routers these days, anyway. How many ethernet ports are on the back of your modem? My bet is 5, plus 2x USB.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Would be nice to know the name and model of his modem, but I sent him a huge, huge PM on this already for various things to try out. So hopefully it helps resolve his problem. If not, I told him to PM me back and we will try some other things.