Server Admin Assistance

KILROY

Server Admin Assistance

Post by KILROY »

K, lately we have had issue's with one or more players joining the server and causing trouble again. Suspect it might be Fish again.

What I need, is when this happens to have every admin get the IP and Port of the one's who are doing this. If a VPN is being used, then I can find out the names of the companies providing the VPN, contact them via my job description, and find out who this person or people are, and then try to put a stop to this.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance in this matter.

EDIT: Just FYI....what this person or people are doing online can be considered a Class A or B Misdemeanor, but if caught done to a minor, they would charged with a Third Degree Felony.
LunaticChick

Re: Server Admin Assistance

Post by LunaticChick »

Where is the port number? When I click on someone's name there isn't a port number after the IP.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

The port number will be after the IP address after the colon ":"

Example. this is one of the IP addresses we have so far:

156.146.36.74:8590

The 8590 after the colon is the port number. A port number is a 16-bit unsigned integer that ranges from 0 to 65535. This is auto assigned by the TCP/IP Network when someone logs onto it. This will give more detailed information to help in tracking down who used the IP address at the time it was used. Like the date/time/how long it was used for, etc. So basically by having the IP address and port, you can use it to trace the history of it's use. Unlike your browser's history, in which you can clear it, you can't clear the history usage of an IP address and it's port. It's a permanent use that is stored via the IP's provider just for cases as this in which via my job position, I can request this from the company who provides the IP/Port, even if a VPN use, and find out who the person(s) are that are using it. I can then request the history usage of the IP/Port address, and review what it was used for. If anything found immediately bad was done...the authorities are contacted and the violator(s) are picked up and will be detained till their court appearance to determine what will be done.

If nothing bad can be determined under the investigation....then a live monitor will be placed on their IP connection, even if they change their IP, and everything they do online will be monitored to see if any charges will be brought forth against them.

Worst case outcome for this type of investigation...if they are found to have done anything against a minor online, a Third Degree Felony is brought against them and if they are found guilty, they could see anywhere from 9 to 60 months in prison, and possibly they could be denied internet services for life.
LunaticChick

Post by LunaticChick »

Doh, it's in the chat text when they join ... opps
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Well, I'm no lawyer. But, seems to me it's a tough nut to crack. it's one thing to prove a physical location and maybe even a specific computer. Proving the operator would be an entirely different level of legal complexity.
LunaticChick

Post by LunaticChick »

Nervous?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

LunaticChick wrote:Nervous?
Nope. You?
LunaticChick

Post by LunaticChick »

Not At All ... :D
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

LunaticChick wrote:Nervous?
You may have noticed I deleted a previous reply about hiring a lawyer. I was just being a smart ass. What else is new, right? :D
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

OldGuy wrote:Well, I'm no lawyer. But, seems to me it's a tough nut to crack. it's one thing to prove a physical location and maybe even a specific computer. Proving the operator would be an entirely different level of legal complexity.
The charges will be brought forth of who the person(s) is that is paying for the IP.