Smurfing

S']['U

Re: Smurfing

Post by S']['U »

DaJ4ck3L wrote:Another idea is to disable pfork / team damage on objects at 3 bk.
Good idea, but there should be a time limit....say 3 BKs within a minute.

Accidental BKs can happen easily, especially if you're defending your base with a bomber.
Sometimes it's a better choice to bomb 3 tanks at your door than worry about BKing damaged jump pads, blast walls and/or force fields.

Maybe you could make it so a BK doesn't count if the destroyed object is already more than 75% damaged...
...or it doesn't count as a BK if it was damaged by more than one person. Image

This would also cut down on the number of "false alarm' BK messages to administrators and make the real BKers much more obvious.
0_-

Post by 0_- »

DaJ4ck3L wrote:Another idea is to disable pfork / team damage on objects at 3 bk. Just more anti bk code along with the freeze / death match idea.

We need more death match maps. Man DM would for resolve this problem. Disable turrets / D on DM maps, and gg.
That idea can be abused to high hell. I just got out of a game where people complained about me killing mobile inventories, but they kept putting it right in the middle of a combat hotzone. There were constantly lasers, phase disruptors etc being fired through and on that area. Honestly there is enough crap with the warnings and so much griefing going on with the votes that I recommend you remove the average user's ability to vote for kicks. Mobile INV health should be increased to make it more resistant to accidental damage and the message about killing them removed.

Also your idea doesn't take into account that enemies are going to be moving around forcefields and blast walls to block off the enemy teams base, forcing players to kill their own teams forcefield and blastwalls which would then disable your pitchforks according to this idea, then they can't make effective defense when they are already having a tough time.

All of these systematic changes are dangerous and being built around these griefers. Its actually making them more effective and feeding into them, because they know how to get around the rules and bend them as much as possible.

The BK system doesn't need to be enhanced, it needs to be relaxed if anything, with common sense changes to objects that are destroyed in half a second in normal play by accidental and understandable BK's. If you make it so people are going to be punished after 3 bk's then people are going to start blocking with forcefields and blastwalls like crazy, then people who kill them will have pitchfork disabled and be completely screwed.
Stop. Close your eyes. Breathe deeply three times. Relax. Be here and now.
0_-

Post by 0_- »

The default game setting for less than 6 players should be DM or similar types.
0_-

Post by 0_- »

Is it possible to use the same technology they use on message boards to check the IP's that enter this game?

That would solve so many problems. These people are using proxies. If you ban all proxies from joining the server, then they have to join using dedicated IPs. Obviously there might even be ways around this but it would make things harder for them. They use this on messageboards, you can try to register at certain messageboards like postcount.net with a proxy and it will not let you.
0_-

Post by 0_- »

I also want to say that it is good to think about proportionality. Especially with the new admins around, smurfing will probably be greatly reduced. And overall the fear of the problem makes it seem way bigger than it is. Really we should think about ways to improve the average users experience and make things less malicious. Right now people are always talking trash to each other and getting in fights. That is a very real problem and way bigger than the occasional smurf. Negativity between actual players and common situations that bring out the bad in players should be an area of focus. Some of that is caused by BKing, for example someone was raping our teams defense last night, completely destroyed it to the point where the other team starting winning in an otherwise balanced game. Then because people were upset about that, they started attacking each other with the votes. I would say that votes are used appropriately maybe 10% of the time, and when there is an admin around that is probably going to end up kicking a player anyways. I really think it would improve players relations if it were removed. Let people settle their problems on the battlefield instead of going to the votes. Or maybe if a player has a problem with another they can ignore him or leave the game for a couple hours to cool their head.

Another idea is that if a player votes to kick another player and it fails, that player who started the vote is kicked. That would be like the rule in Florida they have for domestic abuse. If you call the cops, someone is going to jail. As it stands you just have smurfs or players join and start tossing out votes, and even admins tend to not even care. I could be killing people in the interceptor, people hate that, then they start voting on me when I didn't say a word all game or do anything wrong. Happens like every game, seriously. I cannot think of when I have sat down to play in the last week where I haven't had some pissed off player start voting. They are effective too, like 25% of the time. My only offense, flying around in an interceptor killing heavies.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

Quadruple post.
Not even Skywalker has done that before. :taunt:

Would you call that a double double-post? :hscratch:
0_-

Post by 0_- »