Da Killer...

KILROY

Re: Da Killer...

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:Well, in that case... Do you have the ability to do the opposite of whatever you described above? Because my internet connection feels like it's got a strong case of the soft loop, if you know what I mean...
If you mean latency, no, that's not what a soft loop will do, it will take you down, but not hard. Although taking someone down hard isn't that hard to do either. Just drop their ip off their isp and your done with a drop down command after accessing their isp's network ;)
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Not just latency, but also bandwidth.

My ISP is Time Warner Cable. The CEO of TWC has been quoted saying "Americans don't want faster internet." Which is false.
My twin brother/landlord pays for approximately 25 Mbps download, but only receives around 7, and that's during off peak times...
Since cable internet services share bandwidth across a whole node, when everyone in the neighborhood comes home from school or work, it slows down to DSL speeds, sometimes even dialup speeds.

I also have to reset my modem so frequently, that I've plugged it into an outlet controlled by a light switch, which is not recommended by any other ISP, but the TWC tech told me I was smart, for doing that...

Our only other options at this address are DSL or 4G wireless. I signed up for AT&T U-verse, a few years back, which was supposed to be like Verizon Fios, but in reality, the fiber optic line is over a mile away, so they connected 2 DSL lines to the fiber trunk and said it was just as good. It was slightly better than TWC, but more expensive, and the battery backup for the modem beeped occasionally with the volume of a hundred smoke detectors. That fucking thing would wake up the neighbors in the middle of the night.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Actually TW is upgrading soon. They are running a 300mg line into neighborhoods to compete with ATT's U-Verse. It sounds like you did not pay TW for a dedicated line speed. They do offer those. Right now the fastest you can get with a hard line from TW is 50mg's. I live in the country and can only get ATT DSL with a 6mg dedicated line. ATT does not offer U-Verse out here, and it will be some time before they even get close. TW is already surveying the area to run their 300mg line, which is what I'm waiting for. Unfortunetly, no one offers a dedicated T1 or T3 out here. Those are reserved for business lines right now. The light switch was a good idea to reset your modem, I'm doing the same thing ;)

Get with your twin brother and have him check his billing from TW and see if the speed is a dedicated line or variable speed line. That makes a difference. If he's paying for a particular speed he needs to call their support line and relay what is happening, and they need to make an adjustment to his speed for dedicated service, especially if he's under contract. He needs to verify this via his contract also. If it relays a dedicated speed, they need to remedy what he is paying for. If it doesn't relay this, and it relays variable speeds, then when his contract is up, he needs to look into a dedicated line. If it is a dedicated speed line, they also need to make an adjustment to his billing for future usage. They need to make up for the time they gave him a variable speed line by adjusting the bill down for a few months they charged him for it. That not only makes up for the time they didn't charge him correctly, but makes the user happier, which in turn keeps a customer for TW.

ATT U-Verse is faster due to it being a fiber optic line which transmits light instead of a signal via copper. The only problem with fiber, is if it is cut, you lose service, unless they have a way to re-route the services, and it takes a special machine to re-splice. It also doesn't corrode, in which your copper line from TW will do if exposed by losing its insulation surrounding the copper wire.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

you know that bladez made bomb threats to fish... That imo is a credible threat to harm an individual. a lot of these guys are loose cannons with a loose mouth. It would be ideal that we take the legal approach and report them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0F9kXpr4SE
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

<!>KILROY wrote:Actually TW is upgrading soon. They are running a 300mg line into neighborhoods to compete with ATT's U-Verse.
Awesome!
<!>KILROY wrote:It sounds like you did not pay TW for a dedicated line speed. They do offer those. Right now the fastest you can get with a hard line from TW is 50mg's.
That is the fastest they offer any customer, however 25 is the fastest they offer my neighborhood, and the fine print in the contract does say that we share that bandwidth with the whole neighborhood.
<!>KILROY wrote:I live in the country and can only get ATT DSL with a 6mg dedicated line. ATT does not offer U-Verse out here, and it will be some time before they even get close.
Shit, son... My phone has more bandwidth than that.
<!>KILROY wrote:ATT U-Verse is faster due to it being a fiber optic line which transmits light instead of a signal via copper. The only problem with fiber, is if it is cut, you lose service, unless they have a way to re-route the services, and it takes a special machine to re-splice. It also doesn't corrode, in which your copper line from TW will do if exposed by losing its insulation surrounding the copper wire.
Yes, this is probably why the cable is so unreliable. When TW ran cable from the street to the house, they laid the cable on top of the grass, running around the back side of the house. I called them weekly to find out when they would bury it, but they never directly answered my question, and instead told me excuses as to why they couldn't, such as the contractor who buries cables is backed up, or the ground is frozen. We live in NC so the ground wasn't fucking frozen, the temperature was like 50 degrees the whole time. They proceeded to leave it there, for 6 months, before sending someone to bury the fucking thing. We had to pick the cable up and move it every time we mowed the lawn, so we wouldn't cut it, and I'm pretty sure the sun's UV light reeks havoc on the type of cable that is supposed to be buried under ground.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

S_hift wrote:you know that bladez made bomb threats to fish... That imo is a credible threat to harm an individual. a lot of these guys are loose cannons with a loose mouth. It would be ideal that we take the legal approach and report them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0F9kXpr4SE
Just goes to warn you, be careful on what you do or say while online. People are listening in. Anything you do or say online is open to the public. You are connected to the World Wide Internet. Keep this in mind if you use an Online Cloud System to store any information online also.
perrinoia wrote:That is the fastest they offer any customer, however 25 is the fastest they offer my neighborhood, and the fine print in the contract does say that we share that bandwidth with the whole neighborhood.
That sux's perrinoia. Do have a long time before the contract ends? That would be the best bet to look to see if they offer a dedicated line speed and at what cost.
perrinoia wrote:Yes, this is probably why the cable is so unreliable. When TW ran cable from the street to the house, they laid the cable on top of the grass, running around the back side of the house. I called them weekly to find out when they would bury it, but they never directly answered my question, and instead told me excuses as to why they couldn't, such as the contractor who buries cables is backed up, or the ground is frozen. We live in NC so the ground wasn't fucking frozen, the temperature was like 50 degrees the whole time. They proceeded to leave it there, for 6 months, before sending someone to bury the fucking thing. We had to pick the cable up and move it every time we mowed the lawn, so we wouldn't cut it, and I'm pretty sure the sun's UV light reeks havoc on the type of cable that is supposed to be buried under ground.
That's not good. Leaving an exposed co-ax cable in the sun for that long, then burying it? The buried co-ax cable I have at my house by ATT was going to be ran and buried just as it was. I told the contractor hell no. You are going to shield that cable in a housing before you bury it. I told him who I was and what I did for living, and understood these things. I called ATT to update them, and he had to come back with the insulation sleeve to house the co-ax cable before burying it with a ditchwitch trencher. (Which I didn't pay for any of the installation, but they are raping me with a monthly rate of $56 a month for a 6mg line) When TW runs their services to my place, they relayed they will install an aereal line, not underground, after I told them I was looking to be a long term customer, since ATT doesn't plan to run U-Verse anytime soon in my area.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I sincerely doubt that he's stuck in a contract... He's had TWC for at least 3 years, since I got rid of U-verse.

Why would they want to run an aereal line instead of underground? Which costs more, a ditchwitch trencher or a cherry picker?

I would think the cherry picker would be more expensive, since it would have to come back every time a line got severed due to ice and falling branches, and shit like that.

The only thing that can fuck up an underground line is tree roots, earthquakes, and idiots who don't call digsafe, right?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:I sincerely doubt that he's stuck in a contract... He's had TWC for at least 3 years, since I got rid of U-verse.

Why would they want to run an aereal line instead of underground? Which costs more, a ditchwitch trencher or a cherry picker?

I would think the cherry picker would be more expensive, since it would have to come back every time a line got severed due to ice and falling branches, and shit like that.

The only thing that can fuck up an underground line is tree roots, earthquakes, and idiots who don't call digsafe, right?
Well you do have a point there, but they don't run the underground line, they contract it out. Which means they only go by what the contractor tells them on where the line is, they don't really know since they didn't run it. An above line is something TW will run using their own people and equipment, which they already have. The line in the ground will NOT be insulated besides what insulation the copper line already has surrounding it from the factory. An aereal line will be covered with an outer insulation protecting it, but like you relayed....weather and so forth can cause issues also, but the above ground line will be easier to maintain. If the underground line is severed, it won't be fixed, they will just hire another contractor to run a new line. After a few times of doing this, your ground is no longer useful due to all the copper in it, just in case you want to plant anything organic in the future. So either way you do have ups and downs.

With fiber optic, you have the same issues, but in colder weather, you have to insulate the fiber quite well in order for it not to freeze and snap...this is a bigger expense to the host company due to the insulation costing them more to obtain and provide to the end user, which is why it cost more for services.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Well, on the plus side, my brother intends to move soon-ish, and the zip code he wants to move to has verizon fios...
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:Well, on the plus side, my brother intends to move soon-ish, and the zip code he wants to move to has verizon fios...
Keep in mind even Verizon Fios does the same thing as a NON Dedicated TW line. During peak times it's limited on it's speed also 7 - 10 mg. You also have a bandwidth cap between 2 - 10 TB, whether your a public customer or a business. Remember, any company that deals in communications has to go through my company for the main connection services, and my company has to maintain the main lines so the smaller companies can continue to receive income, and vice versa. If you purchase a dedicated speed line from a company, that will guarantee you a solid speed connection which should not drop during peak hours. It should stay the same speed most of the time, unless they are having a maintanance schedule being done. Just FYI...I do more work on Verizon stuff than anyone else, but that's not to say they are bad. They just don't take the time to run lines properly all the time. They are in a hurry to make a profit and expand.

Here's an ATT site that you can test your bandwidth on:

http://www.att.com/speedtest/