Server Lag

perrinoia
Site Admin

Server Lag

Post by perrinoia »

We had this issue with Kigen's version of Annihilation (Carnage) many moons ago...

Since lag has never really effected all players simultaneously before, and the lag that we're experiencing is not reflected in our pings, I'm pretty sure it's the same issue, and therefor I know how to fix it.

Somewhere in the mod, you've decided to export stats or logs of something, every time it happens.

This might be for debugging purposes, as it was with Kigen (he exported every time you tried to deploy builder beacons out of range), or maybe for catching douche baggery, I dunno.

Bongwater used to export every time someone submitted a bad admin password...

The point is, every time the server writes to the hard drive (unless it's an SSD), the server experiences a brief pause. If it's just a one liner, then no one really notices, but if you do it over and over again, like when people try to deploy things out of range, and keep doing it until they find a spot that is in range, then you've got yourself a lot of lag, all caused by one player spamming something.

On the plus side, it's really easy to find this faulty modification, because you're bound to have a log file spammed up with the same shit over and over again, unless the export overwrites the file...

Either way, search all script files in the mod for "export" and any that don't occur while editing missions or between missions should be rewritten so that the data is stored in memory until the end of the mission, and THEN recorded to hard drive.

Or replace the server hard drive with an SSD and then you can export willy nilly.
S']['U

Re: Server Lag

Post by S']['U »

Weird.
This is how your post looks to me:
WTF.JPG
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Put your glasses on, old man.
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

lag bad please fix

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Thanks for your support, Tarzan.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

perrinoia wrote:Put your glasses on, old man.
Restarting Chrome fixed it.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Might want to look into what caused it in the first place.. Maybe a virus or something.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

perrinoia wrote:Might want to look into what caused it in the first place.. Maybe a virus or something.
not gonna worry about it unless it happens again
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Well, I think you infected me, because I've got some stupid coupon shit poking it's head out of the scroll bar, now...

It's like one of those black market merchants that lurk around subways and say, "Pssst! Wanna buy a watch?" and then open their trench coat to reveal all the shit they've pick pocketed people for, in the movies.

Fucking annoying as shit, and I can't find it to uninstall it... Fucker installed itself without having the decency to register as something I can uninstall.

EDIT: Malwarebytes appears to have removed it. It found a trojan in VLC media player and deleted it, and now the coupon thing is gone.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

That was going to be my suggestion, get Malwarebytes. That Trojan will affect all your players. You can also get it by visiting You Tube and not viewing something they are backing. In other words, something someone has uploaded and You Tube has not checked yet, so be careful. It can also be in their ads, if you don't close one out properly, and accidently click on it, you will get infected.

I download Malwarebytes only from sites I trust, like CNET:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-A ... 04572.html

McAfee Site advisor is not too bad either to use. What they have done is visited a site and checked everything out on the site. If the site checks out to be ok, they give it a green checkmark, red if bad, yellow if unsure, and a white question mark if they haven't tested the site yet. This is shown during your search before you click on any link to visit.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/final/index.html