EAT*LEAD Serious Happy Mod Usage

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: EAT*LEAD Serious Happy Mod Usage

Post by perrinoia »

Come to think of it... There's no way he's 13... He's been playing for many years... Hasn't he?
Beavis

Post by Beavis »

I've always known lead was a cheater, i made him take a screen shot in one game and after looking at his poor video card performance i felt bad. i wish i would've saved that picture Lol.
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

There was a time a while back that I thought the ammo or effects for the chain gun had changed because EL was just all of a sudden tearing it up. Also seemed like every shot found it's mark with the damn CG. I found it uncanny, I hadn't notice prior to that time that the CG shots drained energy either, maybe they did but.... So I asked Crow about it and he seemed to think he was ok, so I let it go. Point was that there was a real change in accuracy and kills. I really felt the CG spread had been reduced to about nothing and the energy drain from hits was really a lot higher or new. I used to be able to take him out with the PB fairly readily but that changed with the power drain. Something changed it was very evident. You would think as much as he uses the CG , that he would be an expert with it but ... Then again I observed him the other day and didn't see any clear sign of HM or cheating. Still it appeared that every shot found it's mark almost. If he's gotten that good Kudos to him but if he's a cheat well that's just disappointing.
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

So, there's a few things to consider, here.

Tank Shredder (the weapon comprised of 4 chaingun shapefiles) has never had much aim deflection, making it almost sniper quality.
Crow did improve the regular chaingun quite a bit, but I think he also balanced it back a little bit later.
Crow added the Minigun for Troll armor, which looks almost identical to chaingun (I think it actually has 2 chaingun shapefiles stacked in one hand), but has zero aim deflection and causes more damage than a standard chaingun, possibly more than the tank shredder.

I've seen him use all 3, but since the introduction of minigun, I think he mostly uses that. It's like a revolving sniper rifle.

However, none of this matters because he's being accused of using HM which enables users to see team indicator icons regardless of obstacles and increases the fog limit so far that it would crash a client not running HM. HM does not improve your aim.

So watching him and seeing him shoot at and miss targets indicates that he is not using aimbot, but has no correlation to happy mod.
However, if you observe him shooting into the fog and scoring kills that are beyond your visible distance. That is a very good indication of a happy mod user.

However, there are also circumstances when signs of happy mod can be explained by legit gameplay by skilled players, such as when players charge particle beam and release the moment they hear it beep. It beeps indicating there is a target at the LOS position, and I think that beep should be silenced to prevent this confusion. Also, there are times when you can hear someone's footsteps around the corner, so you know they are coming and can lob a rocket or grenade at them, or simply wait till you see the whites of their eyes and snipe them. A lot of times, people confuse surround sound with happy mod.

The best method I've ever seen to detect happymod, is to download happymod yourself, and download another player's demo file (.rec), then play their demo with and without happymod. Video capture it and compare the two videos side by side.

If their crosshairs follow targets they shouldn't see. They are most likely happy modding.

Since we can do first person observation mode, it's also possible to have two clients (one with happymod and one without) observing the client simultaneously. If you've got two monitors set up side by side, you can accomplish the demo test live, rather than waiting asking them to upload a demo.

The point is, it's currently not possible to prevent it in our server, and I highly discourage a witch hunt like we've done so many times in the past... There's not enough players be banning people we suspect of cheating. Now, if he starts base killing and boosting teammates around, or hacking... That's a different story.
Azul

Post by Azul »

He uses troll minigun, which is basically rapid fire sniper bullets with no spread. It needs to be nerfed.

I understand that the Troll class is very underused, but there's got to be a better way to buff the class besides that. Maybe give the armor a big speed boost but a further nerf to the air control.

I've obs'ed him and I don't think he's cheating but he can see way past fog, and I swear if I try to sneak around him and come up from behind he knows every time. Even if I deliberately walk to the corner of the map and along the edges, he just turns to me and kills me.
EAt*LEAD

Post by EAt*LEAD »

Hello all,

First, thanks to the community for hosting this game.

Second, I respect this game and the players to ever "cheat".

What I have done to improve, is spend time in practice and trying to improve my play.

Best,

EAT*LEAD
Lawlz

Post by Lawlz »

This dude has played for so long. I can't really believe he's cheating.

I mean, we do have things like pulse sensors in the game if people recall. Not to mention you can sometimes spot people in the distance with this magical function called zooming. I'm glad you guys are trying to stop the witch hunts though, not enough people rocking this game out anymore.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

I don't get the feeling he HMs. I can spot him, even if he's got the hit on me first, before I'm fragged or not. Always within visual distance. There are times he should be able to spot me in his periphrial view, especially if using HM, but doesn't. He's been really good with the minigun for quiet some time. Less so since the minigun was slightly nerfed. He also constantly attacks after respawn, which makes him very effective. Especially if he's on my team. Distracts the defense while I do the dirty work.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Firelord

Post by Firelord »

Back off the dude. I've played with him quite a bit and he's legit. He plays a lot and his skill has increased accordingly. It damages peoples' egos when they get owned in video games. Accepting that they aren't as good as the opposing player is hard to do, so it seems pretty natural for people lob cheating accusations. I get it all the fucking time. It's extremely tedious. My favorite is when I'm sniping on a map with 1 or 2 base entrances, a player walks out, I snipe them right away, and then they accuse me. It's not really a fucking mystery where the players are going to be is it?

Skill level and cheating accusations are linearly related. WICKED{OZ}, probably the best particle beam sniper to ever touch Tribes, could not go 5 minutes without receiving a HM accusation.